greatest name

All research or scholarship questions
Nowis

greatest name

Postby Nowis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:33 am

When reciting the Greatest Name to ourselves during the day, in times of trouble etc, should we say Ya Bahá'u'l Abhá or Alla'u'Abha, or are the two entirely interchangeable ? I have searched the Writings to try to find a definitive answer. The Guardian confirms that Alla'u'abha is a greeting but also that it is a version of the Greatest Name, as is Abha etc. So which one is "better" to use or most commonly used in daily, hour by hour invocation ??

Fadl

Re: greatest name

Postby Fadl » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi,

Ya baha'u'abha means literally " oh (thou) glory of the most glorious"

and allah'u'abha means "God is glorious. "

As to which one is better, the first is longer and in superlative form whereas the second is shorter and stative. I know that doesn't actually answer your question, but I know of nothing in the writings making one better than the other and would be surprised if one were. It seems to me the first is more invocative and ellaborate in nature, however, which one is better suited for you at any given time is really up to your preference.

Cheers
"Thus doth the Nightingale utter His call unto you from this prison. He hath but to deliver this clear message. Whosoever desireth, let him turn aside from this counsel and whosoever desireth let him choose the path to his Lord." - Baha'u'llah

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Greetings all..

Regarding the proper phrasing for the 95 daily recital:

"When using the Greatest Name the words 'Allah-u-Abha' should be used and not 'Ya Baha'u'l-Abha'."

(From a letter written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi to an individual believer, October 10, 1936, in Lights of Guidance, no. 905)

Some other details of this practice are collected at https://bahai9.com/wiki/Recitation_of_9 ... Abh%C3%A1s

Regarding use during times of danger, it is mentioned that the Greatest Name can be used at such times:

"The Greatest Name should be found upon the lips in the first awakening moment of early dawn. It should be fed upon by constant use in daily invocation, in trouble, under opposition, and should be the last word breathed when the head rests upon the pillow at night. It is the name of comfort, protection, happiness, illumination, love and unity.

"I hope that thou mayest become informed of the concealed mystery and recondite symbol of the stone of the Most Great Name... The use of the Greatest Name and dependence upon it, cause the soul to strip itself of the husks of mortality and to step forth freed, reborn, a new creature...."

('Abdu'l-Bahá: United States Supplement to Bahá'í News, No. 80, p. 2, October 1964, in Lights of Guidance, no. 892)

(See also https://bahai9.com/wiki/Recitation_of_v ... _of_danger )

Regarding the use of "Ya Baha'u'l-Abha", I'm not sure whether it applies to the above or not. There is this pilgrim's note which seems to suggest maybe it does:

If you fall into trouble, say "Ya-Baha'u'l-Abha;" and if anyone oppose you, say "Ya-Baha'u'l-Abha." Even when you may be in your work, mention "Ya-Baha'u'l-Abha."

(at http://bahai-library.com/breakwell_hopper_brittingham )

Best wishes,
Brett

Nowis

Postby Nowis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks.

Return to “Discussion”