Just a question on baha'i burial practice.

All research or scholarship questions
quincy

Just a question on baha'i burial practice.

Postby quincy » Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am

I was wondering about this quote:

The body of man, which has been formed gradually, must similarly be decomposed gradually. This is according to the real and natural order and Divine Law. If it had been better for it to be burned after death, in its very creation it would have been so planned that the body would automatically become ignited after death, be consumed and turned into ashes. But the divine order formulated by the heavenly ordinance is that after death this body shall be transferred from one stage to another different from the preceding one, so that according to the relations which exist in the world, it may gradually combine and mix with other elements, thus going through stages until it arrives in the vegetable kingdom, there turning into plants and flowers, developing into trees of the highest paradise, becoming perfumed and attaining the beauty of colour.
Cremation suppresses it speedily from attainment to these transformations, the elements becoming so quickly decomposed that transformation to these various stages is checked. – Abdu’l-Baha, Star of the West, Volume 7, p. 317.

Abdu'l-Baha said that the deceased body may gradually combine and mix with other elements, thus going through stages until it arrives in the vegetable kingdom, there turning into plants and flowers, developing into trees of the highest paradise, becoming perfumed and attaining the beauty of colour.

But how can that happen if the deceased body is in a coffin/casket?

Fadl

Re: Just a question on baha'i burial practice.

Postby Fadl » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi,

It would assuredly also happen in a casket, only much slower, since the integrity of the casket itself will eventually fail and also decompose.

Cheers
"Thus doth the Nightingale utter His call unto you from this prison. He hath but to deliver this clear message. Whosoever desireth, let him turn aside from this counsel and whosoever desireth let him choose the path to his Lord." - Baha'u'llah

Return to “Discussion”