My raining Cause made deities divine (comments?)

All research or scholarship questions
Darrick Evenson

Postby Darrick Evenson » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:15 pm

Anyone wish to comment on what they think this Verse means?:

"My raining Cause made deities divine; all Lords have by My ample order thrived." (<a href=http://bahai-library.com/?file=bahaullah_ode_dove_cole.html>Ode to the Dove</a> v. 110)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:14 am

Namaste,

UNITY.

Love and Light,

Tone

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:35 am

John 10:34 and Psalms 82:6 mention "ye are gods". I would say it is a figurative emphasis (assuming the translation is valid) relating to the potential of the people influenced by His Cause.

Dakota790

Always

Postby Dakota790 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:46 pm

Once is not enough, we need a lot more from this great thing.

janine

Postby janine » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:10 pm

One idea I got by reading this is the following: deities are things people worship. They can be people, they can be things. I have an association here with the religions which worshipped the different names and attributes of God by making these names into gods and goddesses. In Hinduism for example there is the image of the goddess Kali, the goddess of death and destruction, yet there is also a god or goddess of life and creating. In the Long Healing prayer there is mention of God as the lover of humanity and of the One Who slayest the Lovers and is the God of Grace to the wicked. In another place in that prayer He is called the all Bounteous One.

This verse makes clear to me again (among other things) that all is created by God and that it is His decree what is allowed and what not.
Making something divine in my interpretation means making it acceptable in the eyes of God, so wearing the approval of God.

raining Cause is to me the cause of God, in particular this dispensation, the dispensation of Baha'u'llah, raining down all the time, surrounding us as it were, like rain coming down from the heavens, and in the cultural background of the people Baha'u'llah lived among rain is a good thing, unlike here in Ireland ;o) where it rains so much you get sick of it. Rain in the parts Baha'u'llah lived in meant blossoming, fruits, food, in short, bounties. So to me using the words raining Cause paint a picture of constant stream of bounties coming down, we are standing right under the horn of plenty.

'All Lords have by my ample order thrived' refers in my view back to the deities mentioned, maybe making it clear that the deities first thought of are people in power, like kings, but any other person who is in a position of leadership/authority. Lords have thrived when they made themselves submissive to the commandments of God.

MichaelTChase

Re: My raining Cause made deities divine (comments?)

Postby MichaelTChase » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:49 pm

In Tabernacle of Unity: "Some of the Hindu Prophets, however, have declared: ‘We are God Himself, and it is incumbent upon the entire creation to bear allegiance unto Us. Whensoever conflict and dissension appear amongst men, We arise to quench it.’" As I understand accordingly, that Hindu Gods and Goddesses were actually Prophets from distant times, but Shoghi Effendi makes clear that what we know about religious Scriptures before the Qur'an cannot be said to be perfect. But in light of this many of the Hindu Prophets may have lived side by side as if Heralds of each other.

Return to “Discussion”