spiritually dead--SOS

All research or scholarship questions
seeker

spiritually dead--SOS

Postby seeker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi dear bahai sisters and brothers,

these days i have been painfully struggling against my spiritual death. i lost my connection with the Being which usually comforted me in the past. I read the writings day and night. but I just feel that i am buried deep in my own worldly self attachments, and can not climb up to breathe the fresh air. Prayers may give me a comfort at the moment. but as soon as i put the prayer book down, my spirituality deflat.

i know i have to pray more to ask for assistance from Baha'u'llah, but i have been doing it for quite long, and still i don't see any changes within me. i have been a bahai for 3 years. i know what a hell it is like to be spiritually disconnected from Baha'u'llah.

how will you do, or what have you done, to revive your spirituality and again live like a bahai, be a distinguished person among people? please let me know what you will do.

sorry for any confusion caused by this mumble. my head, mind and heart is muddy now.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:57 pm

I myself right now am experiencing the same sort of ordeal. I remember being spiritual and connected, but now I just dont feel the same way. Now when I pray, just like you while praying I feel the feeling of spirituality but once I stopped it went away and am trying to keep that feeling but its just not within me any longer. Actually not only my religion but my entire life has changed, and I see that I am no longer the same type of person. So after a long time being in this kind of state with my thought unfocused and me feeling less warm, and being uneasy in social situations I saw a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist asked me several questions and said I had severe depression, which is a chemical imbalance that occurs in the brain, and he has put me on medication and after several weeks on medication I am feeling better BUT am not feeling the same as I was before. Before whereas I would constantly emphasis on my religion and try to have a warm spiritual feeling within me, now I am confused as to whether the warm spiritual feeling was from my care for my religion and correct choices in my life or whether the warm spiritual feeling was due to the fact that I wanted something to make me feel better. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to put down this feeling of spirituality that people have but its just that I am confused as to where this feeling is coming from. Now when I think about it I think that this feeling is more psychological and a way that we try to get ourselves to feel good and spiritual if that the type of person we are. If we are feeling bad, we may attribute our unwarm feelings to the fact that we are not spiritual when its really just something psychological that we believe to me spiritual and get ourselves to feel that way, and when we dont feel like that we feel like we are not spiritual.

Tell you the truth, I hope somebody can correct me and guide me to some truth cuz I myself am a little confused now. When I am saying a prayer now I may try to get myself to feel spiritual but I see that when I was depressed I couldnt get myself to feel this way, and now that I am better with the help of medication, maybe I can get myself to feel spiritual but this is not really anything real but just my psychological thoughts.

Im sorry if my words sound harsh, they probably are, its just that I dont understand this anymore

CJ

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:47 am

hi;
I was on another forum, and someone posted a reference to 'The Dark Night of the Soul' You should look this up and check it out. it is an alternative way of looking at depression, as a step in our spiritual growth that we have to get through to get to the next level. here are some quotes from some sites I found;

The phrase "dark night of the soul" traces its origins to a work by the Spanish poet and Roman Catholic mystic Saint John of the Cross (1542-1591). It tells of his mystic development and the stages he went through on his quest. The "dark night of the soul" is that stage on the mystic path when "spiritual persons suffer great trials, by reason not so much of the aridities which they suffer, as of the fear which they have of being lost on the road, thinking that all spiritual blessing is over for them and that God has abandoned them since they find no help or pleasure in good things".

The dark night occurs after considerable advancement toward higher consciousness. Indeed, the dark night usually occurs like an initiation before one of these special seekers is admitted into regular relationship with higher consciousness. The dark night also occurs to those who do not seek relationship but immersion or unity in the higher consciousness. While the term dark night of the soul is used broadly, its general meaning — in the field of higher consciousness — is a lengthy and profound absence of light and hope. In the dark night you feel profoundly alone.

here is the link to the entire document, written by Saint John of the Cross:"

http://www.darknightofthesoul.org/darknight.htm

Mazher

Postby Mazher » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:34 pm

Just Focus !! .. n Try to unleash the purpose of ur existance Seeker

curt

Spiritually Dead -- SOS

Postby curt » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Hey Seeker,

I doubt very much that you're disconnected from Baha'u'llah. I suspect you've simply reached a temporary plateau. You need to take a breather, think about other interests you have, relax, take a walk, get some exercise, take in a couple of good movies, enjoy yourself, laugh, etc...

Every now and then I feel the way you do. I have come to realize that it is not because I drifted from Baha'u'llah's orbit but rather that I'm staring off into space and not facing the Sun of Truth directly. It happens and always corrects itself.

Most importantly I've learned to be grateful in all circumstances, especially when I'm feeling disconnected! That in itself is a great lesson to learn in the discipline of spirituality.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Curt

Return to “Discussion”