Talks by The Master and description of Africans(blacks!)

All research or scholarship questions
Lapiro

Talks by The Master and description of Africans(blacks!)

Postby Lapiro » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:44 pm

I'm African and black and have been very worried when I read some passages from the Promulgation of Universal Peace.
The description given by the Master of the blacks (Africans) is making me very worried.

I don't know if I'm the only one worried about these references or is that I'm worried when there is nothing to worry about? :?:

Plz, I'm doing a small personal research on these questions of colour in the Bahai Writings. If it's ok, could u mail me or post some references about ur topic on this forum?

I would appreciate a word or two or three on this

Omid

Postby Omid » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:01 pm

Dear sir,

If one reads early editions of certain Baha'i books by the Guardian or Abdul'Baha you will see words like 'negro', 'colored', and 'African'. At the time these books were translated and published those words were common among all people and were used loosley to describe African Americans. Fortunatly, revised editions have politcally correct terms for all races when speaking of conditions of unity and racial harmony. If this bothers you it should not. Early translators didnt have the vocabulary to deal with such sensitive issues.

I suggest reading some of the stories by Abdul'Baha and his treatment of African American Baha'is during the early 1900's when he visited the USA. It will warm your heart.

best of luck in your research.

Omid

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:27 pm

Most of the references to Africa in this work are to certain (cannibalistic) tribes in Central Africa.

The context of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's statements indicate that He is stating that there is nothing inherently deficient with any group in their degree of civilization. On the contrary, He is saying that a group's attainments are an indicator of the environmental factor of the education available to them. He is also speaking to a specific audience and using the statements to effect to demonstrate His points and is not making an assessment of all African society. In other notes, He is to have mentioned that Africa had previously achieved high levels of development.

Moreover, there are numerous Bahá'í Writings speaking to the fact that the degree of material civilization, while potentially of benefit, is not a perfect indicator of spiritual civilization, and it is even specifically mentioned that many more "primitive" African tribes have shown greater receptivity to this Faith's teachings and standards than other so-called "civilized" groups.

Brett

majnun

Postby majnun » Sun May 29, 2005 10:51 pm

Dear friend,

You may enjoy on this site the document
Pilgrims note by Louis Gregory who was (I think)
the first black american to enter, and he met
and talked with Abdul Baha, who gave him
his instructions and views about the upcoming
harmony between the races.

Majnun.

Keyvan

Postby Keyvan » Sun May 29, 2005 11:00 pm

exactly. the rhetoric, even translated, those words were used because what we define as "politically-correct" is a more modern social construct

its hard to picture now but to read those words at the tiem of their publication, there was no thought to anyone that they were anything less that purely dignifying. racial slurs were a problem. and even back then in many parts racial slurs were considered the "norm" in reference.

Return to “Discussion”