Islam academic, history, and language books for sale

Advertisements, businesses, sales (Baha'i-related)
Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Islam academic, history, and language books for sale

Postby Jonah-admin » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm selling my large collection of books acquired over the 10-year period when I was studying Shi'ism, Sufism, and Arabic in grad school.

All books have been well cared-for in a smoke-free home. I never underline or dog-ear books. Most softcovers have clear book tape on the spine and edges of the covers, added to keep them from getting scuffed or bent. Most books are not discoloured from sunlight, but the couple that are have been marked and discounted accordingly.

The books in good shape are priced at about 25% new price or 50% used price, which I determined by checking amazon.com. Most of these books are used at Amazon for $15-30, but a few are rare and listed at over $200. Those I've mostly marked at $25. The few books in fair or poor shape (those that have underlining or scuffed covers) I marked at about half that price. I will send photos upon request.

I prefer to sell locally (Vancouver BC), but am willing to mail them too. If you order under $100 worth and want them mailed, I'll have to add a $10 handling fee (in addition to postage) for my time finding a box or envelope, packing the books, and going to the post office. But if you buy more than $100 worth, I'll waive that handling fee.

I have a 7-year feedback history on Ebay, which you can consult to confirm that I am a reliable buyer/seller: <a href="http://myworld.ebay.com/jonah222">http://myworld.ebay.com/jonah222</a> . I'm also selling <a href="http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/sss?query=jonah2">9/11 Research books, Buddhism, Music, and Philosophy</a> collections.

<i>This table is available for <a href="http://bahai-library.com/islam.xls">download as Excel spreadsheet</a></i>

<table> <tr> <td>author</td> <td>title</td> <td>pages</td> <td>year</td> <td>cover</td> <td>condition</td> <td>price</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Al-Mukhtar</td> <td>A Concise English-Arabic Dictionary</td> <td>866</td> <td>1989</td> <td>H</td> <td>Fair; all pages are in good condition, but child's scribbling on edges of pages, on title page, and spine slightly scuffed</td> <td>8</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>N. A. Faruqui</td> <td>Ahmadiyyat in the Service of Islam</td> <td>151</td> <td>1983</td> <td>S</td> <td>good; book tape on spine has some bubbling and discoloration</td> <td>2</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Michael Sells</td> <td>Approaching the Qur'an: The Early Revelations (includes audio CD of recitation)</td> <td>219</td> <td>1999</td> <td>S</td> <td>good; bend in one corner of cover; book tape on spine has a couple "bubbles" in it.</td> <td>7</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Abul Hashim</td> <td>Arabic Made Easy</td> <td>328</td> <td>1994</td> <td>H</td> <td>fair: has small grammar notes written on 12 pages and inside cover</td> <td>4</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Leonard Lewisohn</td> <td>Classical Persian Sufism: From its Origins to Rumi</td> <td>666</td> <td>1993</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; spine has crease marks and book tape, but the cover is fine and all pages are pristine</td> <td>9</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Farid ud-Din Attar, trans. C. S. Nott</td> <td>Conference of the Birds</td> <td>146</td> <td>1993</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; spine is faded, but cover and all pages are in good shape; small pen marks on 2 pages</td> <td>5</td> <td>-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Toshihiko Izutzu</td> <td>Creation and the Timeless Order of Things</td> <td>190</td> <td>1994</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; spine, cover, and pages are all in fine shape, but book has a slight bend as if exposed to moisture; book tape on spine</td> <td>9</td> <td>-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Annemarie Schimmel</td> <td>Deciphering the Signs of God: Phenomenological Approach to Islam</td> <td>303</td> <td>1994</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; spine is faded but cover is in good shape, and all pages are pristine; book tape on spine</td> <td>11</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Mohammed Ali Amir Moezzi</td> <td>Divine Guide in Early Shi'ism: Esotericism in Islam</td> <td>279</td> <td>1994</td> <td>S</td> <td>good </td> <td>9</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>S. Haim</td> <td>English-Persian Dictionary</td> <td>710</td> <td>1993</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; book tape on spine, stain in upper corner of first few pages, cover slightly faded</td> <td>7</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ira M. Lapidus</td> <td>History of Islamic Societies</td> <td>1002</td> <td>1994</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; spine is faded and has crease marks, but cover is in good shape and most pages are pristine; underlining on one page</td> <td>13</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Rumi, intr. Regina Sara Ryan</td> <td>In Praise of Rumi</td> <td>67</td> <td>1989</td> <td>S</td> <td>good; writing on title page</td> <td>4</td> <td>-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Seyyeh Hossein Nasr</td> <td>Introduction to Islamic Cosmological Doctrines</td> <td>322</td> <td>1993</td> <td>S</td> <td>good; spine faded</td> <td>9</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ervand Abrahamian</td> <td>Iran Between Two Revolutions</td> <td>560</td> <td>1982</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; spine is faded and has crease marks, but cover is in good shape and most pages are pristine; underlining in 1 chapter</td> <td>6</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Wilfred Cantwell Smith</td> <td>Islam in Modern History</td> <td>317</td> <td>1977</td> <td>S</td> <td>good; spine faded</td> <td>5</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Caesar Farah</td> <td>Islam: concise analysis</td> <td>306</td> <td>1970</td> <td>S</td> <td>fair; has underlining</td> <td>3</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Abdulaziz Abdulhussein Sachedina</td> <td>Islamic Messianism: Mahdi in Twelver Shi'ism</td> <td>230</td> <td>1981</td> <td>S</td> <td>good </td> <td>12</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Fazlur Rahman</td> <td>Major Themes of the Qur'an</td> <td>180</td> <td>1989</td> <td>S</td> <td>good </td> <td>10</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Marmadouke Pickthall</td> <td>Meaning of the Glorious Quran</td> <td>640</td> <td>n.d.</td> <td>H</td> <td>good; some dents in cover</td> <td>4</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Marmadouke Pickthall</td> <td>Meaning of the Glorious Quran</td> <td>464</td> <td>n.d.</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; cover, spine, and pages are all in fine shape, but it's simply old</td> <td>2</td> <td>-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Peter Avery</td> <td>Modern Iran</td> <td>527</td> <td>1965</td> <td>H</td> <td>Fair; cover and pages are in fine shape, but the book is over 40 years old and the pages are faded</td> <td>8</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Suhrawardi, trans. W. M. Thackston</td> <td>Mystical and Visionary Treatises of Suhrawardi</td> <td>119</td> <td>1982</td> <td>H</td> <td>new; still has paper sleeve; book tape on spine</td> <td>25</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Annemarie Schimmel</td> <td>Mystical Dimensions of Islam</td> <td>512</td> <td>1975</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; spine has crease marks, cover has small scuffs, and there's a coffee stain on the edge, but all pages are pristine</td> <td>7</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>S. Haim</td> <td>Persian-English Dictionary</td> <td>732</td> <td>1993</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; book tape on spine</td> <td>8</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Yohanan Friedman</td> <td>Prophecy Continuous: Ahmadi Religious Thought</td> <td>218</td> <td>1989</td> <td>H</td> <td>good, still has paper sleeve</td> <td>13</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Mahmoud Ayoub</td> <td>Redemptive Suffering in Islam </td> <td>300</td> <td>1978</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; this is a bound photocopy, NOT original. Spiral-bound with thick plastic cover</td> <td>5</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Mohammed Arkoun, trans. Robert Lee</td> <td>Rethinking Islam</td> <td>140</td> <td>1994</td> <td>S</td> <td>new, perfect condition, NO book tape on spine</td> <td>25</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>John Walbridge</td> <td>Science of Mystic Lights: Shirazi and Illuminationist Tradition</td> <td>296</td> <td>1992</td> <td>S</td> <td>great </td> <td>25</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Juan Cole and Nikki Keddie</td> <td>Shi'ism and Social Protest</td> <td>325</td> <td>1986</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; spine faded, crease on spine and edge of spine at cover</td> <td>8</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>S. H. Nasr, ed.</td> <td>Shi'ism: Doctrines, Thought, and Spirituality</td> <td>400</td> <td>1988</td> <td>S</td> <td>good </td> <td>7</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Husayn Tabataba'I</td> <td>Shi'ite Islam</td> <td>253</td> <td>1977</td> <td>S</td> <td>good </td> <td>7</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Qur'an</td> <td>small pocket Qur'an, in Arabic, in padded gold zippered pouch</td> <td></td> <td></td> <td></td> <td>good</td> <td>3</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kahlil Gibran, trans. Juan Cole</td> <td>Spirit Brides</td> <td>71</td> <td>1993</td> <td>H</td> <td>new; still has paper sleeve; book tape on spine</td> <td>8</td> <td>-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Frithjof Schuon</td> <td>Sufism: Veil and Quintessence</td> <td>163</td> <td>1981</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; spine has small stains and is faded, but cover and all pages are good</td> <td>3</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kenneth Cragg</td> <td>The Call of the Minaret</td> <td>376</td> <td>1964</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; spine is faded and creased, cover is scuffed, and pages are slightly faded, but all pages are otherwise in good shape</td> <td>3</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Coleman Barks</td> <td>The Essential Rumi</td> <td>301</td> <td>1995</td> <td>H</td> <td>Good; spine, cover and all pages in good shape; still has cover sleeve</td> <td>5</td> <td>-</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sandra Mackey</td> <td>The Iranians: Persia, Islam, and the Soul of a Nation</td> <td>442</td> <td>1998</td> <td>S</td> <td>fair; book is in good shape, but cover has minor "waviness," possibly caused by humidity</td> <td>6</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Farhad Daftary</td> <td>The Isma'ilis: Their History and Doctrines</td> <td>803</td> <td>1992</td> <td>S</td> <td>Good; book tape on spine, creases in spine; all pages pristine</td> <td>23</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Abdulaziz Abdulhussein Sachedina</td> <td>The Just Ruler in Shi'ite Islam: Imamite Jurisprudence</td> <td>281</td> <td>1988</td> <td>H</td> <td>new; still has paper sleeve; book tape on spine; edges of paper sleeve slightly worn</td> <td>20</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Roy Mottahedeh</td> <td>The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran</td> <td>416</td> <td>1985</td> <td>S</td> <td>Fair; spine has crease marks and some pages have underlining and highlighting</td> <td>3</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kahlil Gibran</td> <td>The Prophet</td> <td>96</td> <td>1985</td> <td>H</td> <td>good; still has paper sleeve over hardcover; paper sleeve discoloured at top and bottom of spine</td> <td>7</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kahlil Gibran</td> <td>The Prophet</td> <td>96</td> <td>1985</td> <td>H</td> <td>good; still has paper sleeve over hardcover; paper sleeve torn</td> <td>4</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kahlil Gibran, trans. John Walbridge</td> <td>The Storm</td> <td>117</td> <td>1993</td> <td>H</td> <td>new; still has paper sleeve; book tape on spine</td> <td>8</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ernst Grube</td> <td>The World of Islam: Landmarks of the World's Art</td> <td>176</td> <td>1966</td> <td>H</td> <td>Fair; cover has rip on spine and library sticker on spine; inside cover has library discard stamp, but all inner pages are in good shape</td> <td>4</td> <td></td> </tr> <tr> <td>Ahmad von Denffer</td> <td>Ulum al-Qur'an: Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur'an</td> <td>199</td> <td>1989</td> <td>S</td> <td>new; cover pristine, no creases in spine, pages
pristine. Book tape on spine</td> <td>10</td> <td></td> </tr> </table>

Return to “Commercial”