Haifa Baha’i Temple Shipping Tube - Shoghi Effendi

Advertisements, businesses, sales (Baha'i-related)
onepence

Postby onepence » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 pm

on ebay

for $5000 {five thousand dollars}

This unique item was used to send the blueprints of the future Baha’i Temple on Mount Carmel, in Haifa, Israel, to Shoghi Effendi, Guardian of the Baha’i Faith. On the surface, it is just an old black stovepipe, but the plaque on it is priceless.

Some will see the historic value of this piece, while others will recognize it as a warning against the dangers of the ego. After many years of dedicated service to the Baha’i Faith, the architect of these blueprints, Charles Mason Remey, was recognized as having violated the violated the Covenant and was declared a Covenant Breaker.

To greater appreciate the tragedy of his fall, we must look at the accomplishments he achieved during his many years of service both under ‘Abdu’l-Baha and Shoghi Effendi. He received numerous Tablets from ‘Abdu’l-Baha, in one of which was included His famous reply: My station is ‘Abdu’l-Baha, my name is ‘Abdu’l-Baha, my qualification is ‘Abdu’l-Baha, my praise is ‘Abdu’l-Baha, my title is ‘Abdu’l-Baha. He recognized the need for, and encouraged the publication of, Star of the West, that immortal publication which featured many Tablets and stories, most of which have not been printed elsewhere. He served on many administrative bodies, and was even invited by the Guardian to consult on the development of the Faith after the passing of the Master. The Guardian discussed with him plans for the construction of a tomb for ‘Abdu’l-Baha and a general plan for landscaping the proprties at the World Centre. He was the architect for the Temples in Uganda and Australia, as well as the future temple in Iran. He was asked to prepare a design for the International Archives building, but testified that the design was Shoghi Effendi’s, not his own. Towards the end of Shoghi Effendi’s life, he was appointed a Hand of the Cause of God.

How lamentable and how pathetic for anyone, especially for one of such rank, to violate the Covenant and forever be remembered only for that. How bitter and tragic it must have been for those who knew him and knew of his services.

If we ever think, even for a moment, that our services merit praise, this hollow tube serves as a reminder of one whose ego took control of him.

This piece was acquired when a national archive released it from its collection to make space for more pertinant pieces. For the last dozen years it has sat in my living room, holding umbrellas, canes and staffs, and providing a conversation topic when people noticed it.

Now I feel moved to offer it up for sale, to see if anyone else is interested in it or its story.

It is a precious piece, made so by its association with Shoghi Effendi, but stained by the “pitiable defection” of one “whose arrogant attempt (to) usurp (the) Guardianship” led to his own downfall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Haifa-Baha-i-Temple ... dZViewItem

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:12 pm

i wouldn't buy it...even for $10...

i wonder if it should be sent to the archives?

onepence

Postby onepence » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:12 pm

"This piece was acquired when a national archive released it from its collection to make space for more pertinant pieces. For the last dozen years it has sat in my living room, holding umbrellas, canes and staffs, and providing a conversation topic when people noticed it. "

so ... i don't think any national archives wants the item ... but i don't know if I bought the item what i would do with it either ...

i emailed the owner ... he seems friendly enough ... really doesn't want to sell the item ... just wanted to send a message to someone {perhaps me?} ... about "the dangers of the ego"

I do wonder what Abdu'l Baha would do with the item ... it is a very interesting relic ...

" ... .... stained by the “pitiable defection” of one “whose arrogant attempt (to) usurp (the) Guardianship” led to his own downfall. ... "

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:11 pm

Well, for example, the world center used/is still using, as I understand it, some of the design plans of this covenant breaker (Remey).

For me, I wouldn't want a relic with Remey's name on it, especially in my house (esp. if I had feasts there, etc.).

But, at least for me, I'm reminded of "the dangers of the ego" just by the story of Remey. I guess for me, it's like if I had a scorpion bite, I wouldn't want his rotting carcass lying on my bookshelf just as a reminder to be more careful at the beach...

...it's a dumb example, I know :oops:

Return to “Commercial”