Translators for the site, anyone?

News, suggestions, corrections
brettz9

Translators for the site, anyone?

Postby brettz9 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:07 am

Hi there,

We've got a translation tool working now so it should be a breeze for a volunteer to translate the interface to this site into any language you are familiar with (ok, maybe we'll pass on Klingon--though not to spread any inter-planetary prejudice or anything).

Any volunteers?

There are about 1200 or so items to translate, though an incomplete translation is ok, since the untranslated items will just show up in English until they can be finished.

Besides being a great service to our existing and potential readers, having the interface translated might encourage more of the speakers of your language to contribute material to the library too...

Please let me know ASAP if you are interested, so I can get you started...All you will need in order to make a translation is a web browser (like Explorer or Firefox) and a familiarity with English and another language.

best wishes,
Brett

British_Bahai

Postby British_Bahai » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Perhaps this will help kick-start your efforts: :anmachen:

1.Take a screenshot of the interface and print it off a few times.
2. take it with you to the next feast and ask for volunteers to translate it.
(If the people at the feast can only speak one or two languages then resort to plan B - ask them to take a copy and pass it onto their trusted Baha'i friends who can help with the translation)

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 pm

Thanks very much british_bahai, for the idea...

Hopefully, some of us here might take your suggestions... However, there are also a lot of behind-the-scenes translation that also needs to take place (e.g., for pop-up windows, etc.) and it would save some effort for someone to directly enter the translations through our translator's interface...

We already have an Arabic and Farsi translators, though I don't know at what pace the Farsi translator will be able to maintain it, and for any translation we could always use additional help or review.

best wishes,
Brett

Return to “About Baha'i Library”