Embed YouTube videos

News, suggestions, corrections
BritishBahai

Embed YouTube videos

Postby BritishBahai » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:20 am

Dear Jonah,

:god: ...lol

please can you do something so that we can embed youtube videos within our messages?
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

brettz9

Re: Embed YouTube videos

Postby brettz9 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 pm

Just type the Flash URL between "BBCode" within your edit window such as follows

Code: Select all

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/lGV3zrSZrfo&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
(replacing the URL with your own).

That code produces this:

The two numbers in the code are the width and height of the Flash video (I used the default size suggested at Youtube). By the way, there is a "Flash" button which lets you remember this, and you can find out the use of the other buttons in the edit window by hovering your mouse over them and seeing the help text which explains things like this.

Hopefully, we may see tags in the future (or we can make one) for the upcoming <video> tag in HTML 5 which is (for at least a number of browsers) to support Ogg Theora--a video format which is not hampered by proprietary restrictions as Flash is, so people can freely make and distribute (and others can use) their own video viewers/editors which support such a potentially universal format (unless Adobe is going to fully open Flash, that is).

Brett

BritishBahai

Postby BritishBahai » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi Brettz9, thanks for the reply
I just tried it but it wont work for me...

When I click Submit I get the following error message:
You cannot use certain BBCodes: [flash].
I thought it was because Im using Firefox, so I switched to Internet Explorer to see what happens but still got the same message
"I have desired only what Thou didst desire, and love only what Thou dost love"

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi BritishBahai,

Sorry, I wasn't aware it was restricted for users. I've given you privs, and if there are any others here who would like that priv, let me know (private message to me is fine). It was likely restricted for other members because there are some automated spam bots which can auto-join and then send spam forum messages.

Brett

Return to “About Baha'i Library”