Please introduce yourself???

Topics unrelated to the Baha'i Faith
palatadvor

Please introduce yourself???

Postby palatadvor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:31 am

Introduce yourself. Name, Sex, age, location etc. we want to know in how much water we members are??

palatadvor

Postby palatadvor » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:37 am

Name - Harpreet Singh
Age - 19, Sex - male
Location - Mohali(Punjab(India))
Profession - Student (Bechler in computer applications)
Entry name - sikhsm

I am here to Know about bahaism, discussion, exchange views and to know your views also.

I am fond of knowing abt different religons their teachings.(well, every religon teach, there is a god...........dont say it's one because its countless.) I just wanna know abt way i.e religon.

Well i want to know about our members ...............any buddy's there???

Jai bahaism
Jai sikhism
Jai god

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:57 am

Harpreet,

I noticed you are in India. Have you been to the Baha'i lotus temple there? I hear it's more frequented than even the Taj Mahal itself. :wink:

I believe India has the greatest number of Baha'is, about 2 million I think, out of 5.5 or 6 million Baha'is (correct my stats if they are wrong). Indians are most certainly very receptive and spiritual people...The Baha'i Faith is very lucky to have them as supporters of the Cause.

One thing about the Sikhs, the ones I met are extremely nice people. Back in my high school days I had this Sikh substitute teacher...I became friends with him, just a really nice, spiritual guy.
_____
Profession: Pre-med student (Undergrad-senior)
Religion: Baha'i

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Buddhism is an atheistic religion. no, Mahayana Buddhists do not worship the Buddha as a god.

What's Jai mean?
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.
~ Bahá'u'lláh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:40 pm

Zazaban wrote:Buddhism is an atheistic religion. no, Mahayana Buddhists do not worship the Buddha as a god.

What's Jai mean?

He said "any buddy's there," not "any Buddha's there." 'Buddy' as in a friend.

I'd probably call Buddhism agnostic rather than atheistic. However, take the Lotus Sutra for instance, it speaks of many gods.

Baha'u'llah said that the Buddha originally taught of one God. But then over time it changed. We see the same pattern with Hinduism also.

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Baha'i Warrior wrote:He said "any buddy's there," not "any Buddha's there." 'Buddy' as in a friend.

I was talking about him saying ever religion teaches a god.

Often "Deva" is translated to god, while Deva is just supposed to be a level of reincarnation.

When I speak of buddhism I mean the one practiced today, not what was have been 2,500 years ago.
Justice and equity are twin Guardians that watch over men. From them are revealed such blessed and perspicuous words as are the cause of the well-being of the world and the protection of the nations.

~ Bahá'u'lláh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 pm

Yeah. At least every religion did...but still if you read the lotus sutra for yourself for example you'll find references to God that seem pretty clear, but they're misinterpreted as referring to states, like karma, as in a reference to something that was never born, etc.

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:24 pm

Welcome, Marjan! What part of Iran are you from?

Zazaban

Postby Zazaban » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:42 pm

I welcome you here Marjan! I pray for your saftey as a Baha'i of Iran.

~ Bahá'u'lláh

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:42 pm

Nice website, Marjan. I also like your poetry. Was it originally written in Farsi and then translated? I also like the positivity you show on your website and in your poetry. It must be hard living in Iran as a Baha'i in these times.

By the way, we American Baha'is (and Baha'is in other countries too) are getting letters of protect written from influential people like top university presidents (like the NSA + UHJ instructed, sent to the UN for instance) in response to the denial of higher education for Baha'is in Iran (as you know), and it seems from the NSA update that the situation for now has improved, though only to a small extent. You say you are 17, around college age, so I hope the situation gets better soon so you can go the college, receive a degree, and hopefully it's honored. If it wasn't for you Iranian Baha'is, we Baha'is here wouldn't exist :D.

Marjan wrote:thanks! thanks for your prayer zazaban. we are safe here. completely. we all are. how can we not be when we are wrapped in his mercies?? =)
I live in the south of Iran.
good to hear from all of you! :D

Marjan

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Marjan,

So then, what are you studying? Probably you're going for either engineering or medicine? Or possibly doctor mohandis :D? What extracurricular activities are you into? Please tell us about yourself, it is rare (and a good thing) to have a Baha'i from Iran on the message board.

Also your English is very good. Do you take english classes there?

(By the way you don't have to answer any questions that you are uncomfortable with, or that would give away any info, etc., if you're concerned about that...)

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:13 pm

Ah, math is it? I suppose the author of this post has to take calculus soon...still a senior in college and still hasn't taken anything past college algebra! 8) Anyway, the community sounds very close down there (where you are). The Baha'is in Iran I get the impression are much closer than the Baha'is in the U.S., and I think we can learn from them in that respect.

Will you maybe come to the U.S. for college?

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:58 am

yeah i saw it (bihe.org) a few days ago when they put their site up. funny they don't spell out baha'i institute of higher education on their page. maybe it's for security reasons.

i would have liked to go to a baha'i college...i have had baha'i professors before and i can say it is a much better learning environment when the professor is baha'i (or at least when he is religious and cares about his students). ideally, i'm sure many of use would like to have a baha'i professor, doctor, dentist, etc., because without God a lot of these guys do it for the money and it shows in their work...like when a dentist (or the surgeon working under him) wants to evacuate asymptomatic wisdom teeth when the recent journal articles show that such a procedure is not justifiable and has not been shown to be effective in its purpose :?. (despite this, the procedure is done at an alarming rate...$$$$!!!! someone has gotta stop these highway robbers!)

got a bit sidetracked there. well, good luck Marjan! if i ever have any difficult math problems later on i'll post them up here... :D

Marjan wrote:I have no idea where I will be in the future. studying somewhere, anywhere. that's what matters.

anyway I just received this link yesterday: http://bihe.org/
don't know if you have seen it or no.
the university for bahais in iran :D

wishing you all the best,
Marjan

senfreern

Postby senfreern » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:38 pm

Name: Kyle

Sex: Male

Religion: Catholic

political orientation: HUGE Democrat!!

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:58 am

Welcome Kyle,

Nice to have you here. From what you've said so far, it sounds like you are quite open-minded.

Are you a freshman or sophomore in high school?

Look forward to hearing more from you...

senfreern

Postby senfreern » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:43 pm

I'm a sophmore in college

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:51 pm

the baha'is disagree with politics

I wouldn't say that. I would say that Baha'is think that spending too much energy focussed on contemporary politics is a waste of time, because the entire current "world order" will be "rolled up" and replaced with a better one. Also, that to prevent disunity, Baha'is tend not to talk about politics with each other too much. And finally Baha'is are not allowed to hold elected office.

But that doesn't mean you can't be political! I personally think that an active involvement in local politics is important for any citizen, Baha'i or not. Even if it's just involvement in your local neighbourhood association or school board, etc.

The very genesis of the Babi-Baha'i movement was extremely political. The Bab issued direct challenges to the rulers of Persia, and in a less confrontational way, so did Baha'u'llah. The Bab's disciple Mulla Husayn was directly challenging the very rule of the Sultan with his proclamations for the Bab and his act of carrying the "black standard" across the country of Persia. No matter what the Babi interpretation of that act was, the Babis of the time understood that the rulers of the country would see it as announcing an attempted coup. Yes, the Baha'i interpretation of that was that they were proclaiming a new spiritual rule, not a new political rule -- but that's not how it was seen at the time. And even the purely spiritual interpretation of Mulla Husayn's flying the black flag was a direct attack on the political establishment of the time, because that establishment (in Shii Islam, not Sunni Islam) derived its authority from the Prophet. When the State amassed so much military firepower to put down the Babis, you can see that more than religious ideology was at stake.

I'm rambling, and none of this is very relevant now. The following three generations of the Covent of Abdu'l-Baha, Shoghi Effendi, and the Universal House of Justice were all politically neutral, even somewhat pacifist, as is the contemporary Baha'i community. But it is instructive to read how insurrectionary the Bab and even Baha'u'llah were, or were seen as being.

And in a time when Islam is being set up as the enemy, and the mythical fear of "Islamo-fascism" is being propagandized across Europe and North America, I think it's important for us who know it's a lie to step up and say so. (That's why since 2003 I've been spending as much time helping build http://physics911.net and http://physics911.ca as I am on bahai-library.com. See for example "Islam Does Not Support Suicide Attacks" at http://physics911.net/islamnotsuicidal.htm , or "MI6 funds Al Qaeda assassination attempt and aborted coup in Libya," written by an insider with direct personal knowledge whose testimony was vetted in open court in Britain, at http://physics911.net/davidshayler.htm .)

-Jonah

senfreern

Postby senfreern » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:52 am

100 million muslims support the terrorist attacks. the qu'ran says to behead all non muslims, and seige them wherever you see them. i personally believe that it's all about how you interperet though. the only major problem i have with islam is Shar'iah law.. calling for death to gays, murders, thieves, and so forth.. it's crazy!

but yeah, i believe 9/11 was an inside job.. wouldn't surprise me one bit. :(

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:38 am

100 million muslims support the terrorist attacks.

Yes, that sounds about right, and 900 million don't. Without citing specific surveys, roughly 80-90% of Muslims don't believe that Muslims were behind 9/11 (at least in the countries I've read about such surveys taken in).

-Jonah

choogue

Postby choogue » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:48 am

the qu'ran says to behead all non muslims, and seige them wherever you see them.
:shock:

Not actually true Kyle. Only the uneducated people spread those lies. ;)

If that were true, Prophet Muhammed (a.s) would of behead all the innocent non-muslims that lived in Mecca during his time, but instead they lived peacefully side by side and the Prophet allowed them to freely practice their beliefs. :lol:

Anyway.....

Name: Abbas
Sex: Male
Religion: Muslim

Finishing my last year of school and currently trying to figure out whether Uni will be the best option for me or whether to hit it straight into the workforce.

The reason i came to this website is to determine whether the Imam Mahdi (a.s) and Prophet Isa (a.s) have truly returned as prophecised in Islam. Also, to understand the Bahai faith and teach my gf the true beliefs.

Regards
Abbas

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:56 am

abbas wrote:The reason i came to this website is to determine whether the Imam Mahdi (a.s) and Prophet Isa (a.s) have truly returned as prophecised in Islam. Also, to understand the Bahai faith and teach my gf the true beliefs.

They have returned, trust me. :) <--See, doesn't this emoticon give you the sense that I am trustable?

But seriously, surely you have read Baha'u'llah's (and the Bab's) Writings and told yourself, "This, indeed, is of God."

Anyway Abbas, it would really be something if you could teach your girlfriend about the Faith! I'm sure she can learn a lot from you, especially about her own religion. Actually, in our Baha'i community, we have a Muslim (though I have no idea of how strongly he identifies himself with Islam) who is very good friends with the Baha'is and in fact teaches childrens classes on Sundays! Who says you, Abbas, can't do the same (if you had the desire to)? Also you most likely have more knowledge of Islam than the Baha'is in your area [though I wish the Baha'is generally took more of an interest in learning/studying the Koran (and Bible) as Shoghi Effendi says we should—at least of the Koran].

Abbas: sometimes when a man has not declared himself a Baha'i, he has more of a drive to learn about it and thus can be more knowledgeable than both those of his own faith and the those of the one he is studying. This, in my humble opinion, is a sign of a strong character.

Take care Abbas.

—Warrior

palatadvor

Postby palatadvor » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:40 am

hey you all guys wat have you done..........

you are discussing in introducing topic or topic da bhataa hee bhaa ditaa

It's bad yaar...................introduce yourself only

Moderator or administrator.tell them yaar

Jonah-admin
Site Admin

Postby Jonah-admin » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:26 am

Moderator or administrator.tell them yaar

I think you've expressed yourself admirably, better than I could do for you!

-Jonah

misfitguy

Allah'u'Abha

Postby misfitguy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:49 am

Hello everybody. I have been a member for a while, though I don't know how long and have never posted. Today, I noticed that somebody visited my website http://www.misfitscentral.net from this site and came to investigate. As I audited some of the posts, I noticed many young people here. I hope you can tolerate an old guy.

I am Mick Zellar from Muskegon, Michigan, USA
I have been a Baha'i since 1978, but had been close to the Faith since birth, as my Mother and Grandmother were Baha'is as well.
I am 60, count them, 60 years old.
I have attended college, but well before many of the posters were even born and yes, we did have electricity back then.
Everything else about me is on our website. Just click on the link About Us.
I will try to monitor this site a little better than in the past and hopefully become a little more active.

warmly,

Mick
"We are the fruits of one tree, the leaves of one branch..." Baha'u'llah

Ahsan_al_Hadees

Re: Please introduce yourself???

Postby Ahsan_al_Hadees » Sat May 24, 2008 6:49 am

Hi Bahai Friends,

I am Ahsan from Pakistan. This is my pen name. I am the member of Ahmadiyya Movement in Islam. Like Bahais are persecuted in Iran we the Ahmadi Muslims are persecuted in Pakistan. Laws have been passed against us according to them we cant call ourselves Muslims, cant even recite the Holy Quran or other Arabic prayers, etc.

We believe that the Promised Messiah and the Imam Mahdi is Hadhrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian ( PBUH ).

I am a broad minded person. I find Bahais very nice and cool minded.

Regards,
Ahsan

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:36 am

Hello and again, welcome, Ahsan,

Nice to have you here.

Feel free to post comments, ask questions, etc. Some of us might be busy sometimes, so don't take any lack of response as a lack of interest. Specific questions are generally followed up on (if an answer is known) better than more general discussions, but that also depends.

To return your compliment to Baha'is, I remember a very bright and sincere person I met at the U of Illinois a while back who was an Ahmadi Muslim. :-)

all the best,
Brett

Ahsan_al_Hadees

Postby Ahsan_al_Hadees » Sat May 24, 2008 10:28 am

Dear Brett,

It seems that we are going to discuss important issues soon :lol:

I'll try my best not to give the impression of a debator.

Regards,
Ahsan

Return to “Non-Baha'i issues”