Letter from the House re: description of your artwork?

All research or scholarship questions
misagh

Letter from the House re: description of your artwork?

Postby misagh » Mon May 24, 2004 11:19 am

Allah'u'Abha,

I seem to remember someone posting something from the House describing the practice of giving a description or explanation of one's art work, and how we shouldn't always do it? My description is very vague, and probably wrong, but I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about... I thought it was on this site, under a thread about the arts or something, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Mon May 24, 2004 12:18 pm

Hi Misagh,

The discussion was at http://bahai-library.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=39 and the quote was:

"You sometimes provide detailed written descriptions of the symbols you use in your paintings; as a practice this could introduce an aspect which could be unduly interpretive of Bahá'í concepts, ultimately detracting from rather than enhancing your artistic efforts. Symbolism is the stuff of art, but artists rarely interpret the symbols they use, leaving it to the observers of their works to draw their own conclusions, sometimes with no more than hints from the titles given such works." (On behalf of the Universal House of Justice, no. 81 at Guidelines for Baha'i Artists )

best wishes,
Brett

misagh

Thanks!

Postby misagh » Wed May 26, 2004 1:21 am

Thank you Brett! You're always so helpful!

brettz9

Postby brettz9 » Thu May 27, 2004 12:40 am

Thank you for your contributions here, Misagh...

best wishes to you,
Brett

Return to “Discussion”