The validity of the Tablets

All research or scholarship questions
Seeker of Insight

The validity of the Tablets

Postby Seeker of Insight » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:30 am

I have seen a photocopy of this Tablet:

"O Thou Who art the apple of Mine eye!" Bahá'u'lláh, in His own handwriting, thus addresses 'Abdu'l-Bahá, "My glory, the ocean of My loving-kindness, the sun of My bounty, the heaven of My mercy rest upon Thee. We pray God to illumine the world through Thy knowledge and wisdom, to ordain for Thee that which will gladden Thine heart and impart consolation to Thine eyes." "The glory of God rest upon Thee," He writes in another Tablet, "and upon whosoever serveth Thee and circleth around Thee. Woe, great woe, betide him that opposeth and injureth Thee. Well is it with him that sweareth fealty to Thee; the fire of hell torment him who is Thine enemy."
(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 135)

It is in Arabic, in Baha'u'llah's distinctive handwriting, showing the trembling of His hand. The envelope is also copied, and in Baha'u'llah's hand it is addressed to "Hazrat-i Ghusn-i-Azam".

During Baha'u'llah's lifetime, the Baha'is referred to `Abdu'l-Baha as "Ghusn-i-Azam," The Most Mighty Branch (sometimes also translated as the Most Great Branch). Nobody referred to Him as "Abbas" other than the non-Baha'is, i.e. His given name at birth. Some also referred to Him by the other titles Baha'u'llah gave to Him including Sirrullah, the Mystery of God; and Aqa, The Master. But mostly, the Most Mighty Branch. This was His spiritual title.

After the passing of Baha'u'llah, the Covenant-breakers accused The Most Mighty Branch of claiming to be Baha'u'llah's equal. To counter this, He gave Himself the name of "The Servant of Baha'u'llah," -- `Abdu'l-Baha. He directed that the Baha'is cease using the titles that Baha'u'llah had given to Him, and instead only refer to Him as "`Abdu'l-Baha." This was around the time that the first Western Baha'is came into contact with Him; therefore, for those in the West, they always knew Him as `Abdu'l-Baha. They wondered at first why, in His Will, Baha'u'llah directed all to turn their eyes to "The Most Mighty Branch." Why didn't Baha'u'llah just use His name, and tell everyone to turn to`Abdu'l-Baha? -- Because that name did not yet exist. *Everyone* knew who the Most Mighty Branch was. He had been, up to that time, known universally by that name.

As to this nonsense about the Tablet of Beirut being forged. This is a typical ploy of Covenant-breakers such as Khadimullah. They seek to undermine faith in the Center of the Cause, to cause misgivings. All of them are false.

When the Master died, he wrote His Will and put it in an envelope and addressed it to "Ghusn-i-Mumtaz Shoghi Effendi". That is, He followed the same pattern as Baha'u'llah had in His own handwriting written the Tablet referred to above, and addressed the envelope. The Master placed His own Will inside of the Will of Baha'u'llah, and put them in His safe. Shoghi Effendi found them there, after the Master's passing. This showed that the Covenant of the Master, designating the Guardian and the House of Justice as His twin successors, was part and parcel, and a continuation of, the Covenant of Baha'u'llah.

majnun

Postby majnun » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:14 am

Good point, but what does it
change in our daily reality ?

MJ.

Keyvan

Postby Keyvan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:52 pm

THANKYOU!

if you read Stories of Baha'u'llah, Baha'u'llah refers to Abdu'l Baha as The Most Mighty Branch consistantly, as though He has no other name

Baha'i Warrior

Postby Baha'i Warrior » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:10 pm

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why didn't Baha'u'llah just use His name, and tell everyone to turn to`Abdu'l-Baha? -- Because that name did not yet exist. *Everyone* knew who the Most Mighty Branch was. He had been, up to that time, known universally by that name."

VERY good point!!!!

C.B.'s take note! :wink:

Return to “Discussion”