Search for location "Detroit"
|1972 17 Dec
||The passing of Matthew Washington Bullock (b. 11 September, 1881 in Dabney, North Carolina) in Detroit, Michigan. His place of burial is unknown.
He was a singer, a talented athlete, a football coach, a teacher, a soldier, a war hero, a civic leader, a church leader.
Lawyer-graduated from Harvard Law School in 1907.
Found the Faith in 1940 after many years of careful investigation.
Husband to Katherine Wright, (d. 1945), father to Matthew W. Bullock Jr (a judge) and Julia Gaddy (librarian).
Chairman of the Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Boston.
Travel teacher to Haiti, Costa Rica, Mexico, Belgian Congo, Liberia.
Elected to the National Spiritual Assembly of the the United States in 1952.
Represented the NSA at the first Intercontinental Bahá'í Conference in Uganda, East and received permission to visit the Holy Land on pilgrimage prior to attending the Conference.
Became a Knight of Bahá'u'lláh in 1953 for Dutch West Indies when he and four other members of the NSA resigned to take up pioneer posts.
He received an honorary degree from Harvard in recognition of the lifetime of achievements.
He spent his last years in Detroit in the care of his daughter. [BW15p535-539]
Find a grave
||Dabney, NC; Detroit; United States
||In Memoriam; Matthew Bullock; Knights of Bahaullah; Births and deaths
from the main catalogue
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Race, Place, and Clusters: Current Vision and Possible Strategies, by June Manning Thomas, in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 27:3 (2017). Division by place affects the possibilities for racial unity, especially in fragmented U.S. metropolitan areas. The "institute process” as a strategy could overcome challenges that place-based action poses for racial unity. [about]
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.