Search for location "Hong Kong"
|1862 – 1868
||Hájí Mírzá Muhammad-‘Alí, a cousin of the Báb, lived in Shanghai during this period. This is the first record of a Bábí or Bahá'í living in China. [PH24]
From 1870 he lived in Hong Kong dealing as a merchant and was joined by his brother, Hájí Mírzá Muhammad Husayn. [PH24]
||Shanghai; Hong Kong; China
||Haji Mirza Muhammad-Ali (Afnan); Haji Mirza Muhammad Husayn (Afnan); Afnan; Bab, Family of; First Bahais by country or area
|1954 1 Oct
||Anthony and Mamie Seto arrived in Hong Kong.
||Hong Kong; Asia
||Knights of Bahaullah; Anthony Seto; Mamie Seto
|1956 12 Feb
||The first four people to become Bahá’ís in Hong Kong, Nari Sherwani, Ng Ying Kay, Chan Lie Kun and Chan Lie Fun, enrolled. [PH75]
||First Bahais by country or area
||The first local spiritual assembly of Hong Kong was formed.
||The National Spiritual Assembly of Hong Kong was formed. [BW16:251]
For picture see BW16:452.
|1976 27 – 30 Nov
||An International Teaching Conference was held in Hong Kong, attended by 506 Bahá’ís. [BW17:81; VV33]
For the message of the Universal House of Justice see BW17:135–6.
For pictures see BW17:110, 111, 121–2.
||Hong Kong; Asia
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Teaching; Conferences, International; Teaching
||One hundred and twenty people in Hong Kong and 280 in Macau become Bahá’ís as a result of teaching institutes. [BINS189:8]
A later report stateed that more than 600 people in Macau had become Bahá’ís. [BINS194:3]
||Hong Kong; Macau
||Teaching Institutes; Mass conversion
|1989 (In the year)
||A branch of the Bahá’í International Community’s Office of Public Information was established in Hong Kong in anticipation of the time when the Bahá’í Faith can be proclaimed on the mainland of China. [AWH61; VV54]
||BIC Office of Public Information
|1992 17 Sep
||The Bahá'í Professional Society of Hong Kong was inaugurated. [BINS292:8; BW92–3:129]
from the main catalogue
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Bahá'í Communities by Country: Research Notes, by Graham Hassall (2000). Brief notes on the history of Baha'i activities and the dates of NSA formation in Africa, China, Australia, and elsewhere. [about]
- Bahá'í Faith in Hong Kong, by Graham Hassall (1998). Extensive and detailed overview of the history of the Baha'i community in Hong Kong. [about]
- Ridván 1996 (Four Year Plan) - To the Followers of Bahá'u'lláh in Cambodia, Hong Kong, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam: Bahá'í Era 153, by Universal House of Justice (1996). Country-specific portion of the annual message to the Bahá'ís of the world: East Asia. [about]
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.