Search for location "San Quentin"
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
|1911 10 Mar
||'Abdu'l-Bahá sent Lua Getsinger and Dr Ameen Farid to California where they spoke to some 5,000 people delivering lectures on "Bahá'í Reformation" or referring to it in the course of lectures on other subjects. She spent two weeks visiting friends in Chicago and then departed for California on the 10th of March. [LGHC123]
Among the groups contacted were the Scottish Rite Masons, the Knights Templar, the Oakland Chamber of Commerce, some literary clubs, a Unitarian congregation in Almeda, a large group of Japanese, the "World's Spiritual Congress", the Church of the Golden Rule, the Auxiliary of the Juvenile Court, with Persian, Turkish, Egyptian and Jewish ladies, the Federation of Women's club, the faculty members of the University of California and of Stanford University, the crew of the battleship S.S. California, and prisoners in San Quentin. They also went to Tijuana, Mexico, where a civil war was in progress, and where she served as a volunteer nurse for the Red Cross while Dr Fareed served as surgeon to the wounded. [LDNW25; SBBH1p126; SoW Vol 2 No 13 p6-7; SoW Vol 2 No 14 p13-14; SoW Vol 2 No 16 p12-13]
Dr Fareed met President Taft at a luncheon of the Union League Club, and also at the
dedication of the ground for the 1915 Panama Exposition. He had an opportunity
for a few minutes to speak privately to the President when, as a Bahá'í, he congratulated
him upon his efforts for Arbitration Treaties and promotion of Peace between
nations. Thus the President was informed of the goal of the Bahá'í Movement, and its
sympathy with all efforts far the Unity and Peace of the world. [SoW Vol 2 No 14 p13]
Some time before the end of 1911 Dr. Fareed returned to Egypt. [SoW Vol 2 No 16 p12-13]
Some of Lua's talks were:
Lua Getsinger travelled to Chicago to meet Him and to attend the dedication of the land for the Temple. 'Abdu'l-Bahá asked her to participate in the ground-breaking ceremony by turning over a shovelful of earth. [LDNW26-27] iiiii
- December 17th, 1911 at the California Club Hall in San Francisco. [LGHC358]
- January 6th, 1912 at the Bellevue Hotel in San Francisco. [LGHC373]
- January 16th, 1912 at the Bellevue Hotel in San Francisco. [LGHC375]
|California; United States; Tijuana; Mexico; San Quentin
||Lua Getsinger; Teaching; Ameen Fareed (Amin Farid)
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.