Proposed changes for Version 5
Once a year or so the Library grows enough to warrant a sub-version number (see wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning
). Once every five years, on average, the Library evolves enough to warrant a new version; see past versions
. This document will track proposed changes to Version 5, circa 2017. It will not include all requested changes, as there are too many to possibly consider; see all those in Brett's and my To-Do list
. Rather, this document will list changes that are more feasible or more necessary.
I anticipate 2018 because it'll take all of 2015-2016 to finish migrating all the data and adding metadata for documents posted prior to 2004, and then a year of planning and programming the new system.
Some planned changes:
Done, as of 2016:
- "One Database to Rule Them All, One Database to Find Them." Something like
- Authority control for authors: wikipedia.org/wiki/Authority_control, which would also solve the problem of multiple spellings, e.g. "Masumian" and "Ma'sumian".
- Comments/feedback system
- Edit history (name and date edited, and amount of text added or removed)
- Licenses and permissions. Separate editor/publisher. Change "open copyright". See http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
- List bios from bahai_world_memoriam_1992-1997
- Almost completed migration of all pre-2003 static HTML content (save for /Writings, which may never be migrated)
- Established a BitTorrent presence: bahai-library.com/torrent
- Opened the Freenet frontier: bahai-library.com/freenet
- Completed entry of dates and implemented date searchability
- Add a tag cloud, and enabled multiple cross-referencing
- Created Chronology database and integrated it with the new Date search, Tags, and Places