Search for tag "19th century"
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Bahá'í Influence on the Reform Movements of the Islamic World in the 1860s and 1870s, by Moojan Momen, in Bahá'í Studies Bulletin, 2:2 (1983). [about]
- British influence in Persia in the 19th century, by Abbas Amanat, in Encyclopaedia Iranica, Volume 11 (2003). Includes various mentions of the Babi context. Brief excerpt, with link to article offsite. [about]
- Der Messianismus des frühen 19. Jahrhunderts und die Entstehung der Baha'i Religion, by Kamran Ekbal, in Iran im 19. Jahrhundert und die Entstehung der Bahá'í Religion, eds. Johann Christoph Bürgel and Isabel Schayani (1998). On the resurgence of a millenarianistic climate in the 19th century from China through the Middle-East to the USA. It highlights the millenniarist mood in Iran at the time of the beginnings of the Babi and Bahai religions. [about]
- English Amongst the Persians During the Qajar Period 1787-1921, The, by Denis Wright (1977). Passing mentions of Baha'is seeking support or asylum from British consulates or missionaries in the 1800s; overview of E. G. Browne's time in Iran. [about]
- Exposition of the Tablet of the World (Lawh-i-Dunyá), An, by James B. Thomas, in Lights of Irfan, 4 (2003). To fully appreciate the historical significance of the Tablet of the World, this essay first portrays the developing conditions in Persia and in the world that preceded this Tablet, then discusses its salient points. [about]
- Iranian Millenarianism and Democratic Thought in the Nineteenth Century, by Juan Cole, in International Journal of Middle East Studies, 24:1 (1992). [about]
- Long, Withdrawing Roar, The: The Crisis of Faith and Nineteenth-Century English Poetry, by Edwin McCloughan, in Solas, 2 (2002). A Baha'i response to the argument that the crisis of faith in the late 19th century was conditioned by historical circumstances and has therefore little relevance for a contemporary reader. [about]
- Provisions for Sexuality in the Kitab-i-Aqdas in the Context of Late Nineteenth Century Sexual Ideologies, by R. Jackson Armstrong-Ingram (1996). [about]
- Theological Responses to Modernity in the Nineteenth-century Middle East, by Oliver Scharbrodt, in Lights of Irfan, Book 3 (2002). [about]
- Where the Future Nests: 19th Century Babi and Bahá'í Photography, by Negar Mottahedeh (2009). [about]