Search for tag "Abdul-Baha, Passing of"
|1921 28 Nov
||The Ascension of `Abdu'l-Bahá: `Abdu'l-Bahá passes away at about 1:00 a.m., in Haifa. [AB452; BBD4; BBR347; GPB311; UD170]
- For details of His passing see AB452, BW1:19-23; BW15:113-15 and GPB310-11.
- This marks the end of the Apostolic, Heroic or Primitive Age of the Bahá'í Faith and the beginning of the Transitional Formative or Iron Age. [BBD35-6]
- For a photograph of the cable sent announcing His passing see SW12, 15:245.
- See The Passing of 'Abdu'l-Bahá by Shoghi Effendi and Lady Blomfield.
- For a pen portrait of 'Abdu'l-Bahá see The Oriental Rose by Mary Hanford Ford pg 158-159
- Also see AB452-83; HLS93-100.
- See GPB309-320 for a summation of the events that took place in the lifetime of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, during the Heroic Age of the Faith.
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Ages (time); Heroic Age; Formative Age; Abdul-Baha, Life of; - Basic timeline
|1921 29 Nov
||The funeral of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [BW15:115]
- For details of the funeral see AB464-74; BW1:23-6; BW15:115-19; GPB312-14; and SW12, 17:259-67.
- For Western and newspaper accounts see AB474-80; BBR347-9; BW1:26-8; and BW15:119-20.
- For eulogies to `Abdu'l-Bahá see AB481-2, BW1:28-9 and BW15 120-1.
- Ten thousand people attend `Abdu'l-Bahá's funeral. [v7]
- For a number of pictures of the funeral procession see SW12, 91:290, 292-8.
- Bahíyyih Khánum looks for instructions on where to bury `Abdu'l-Bahá and, finding none, entombs Him in a vault next to the one where the remains of the Báb lie. [AB464; GBF14]
- The Faith has spread to 35 countries. [MBW61; PP391]
- The Bahá'í property at Bahjí does not exceed a thousand square metres; the Bahá'í property on Mount Carmel is about ten thousand square metres. [PP267]
- Also see Balyuzi, `Abdu'l-Bahá; Blomfield, The Chosen Highway; Honnold, Vignettes from the Life of `Abdu'l-Bahá; SW12, 15:245 and several following issues.
|Haifa; Bahji; Mount Carmel
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Abdul-Baha, Life of; Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Bab, Shrine of
|1921 29 Nov
||A cable is sent to London with news of `Abdu'l-Bahá's death. Shoghi Effendi learns of his grandfather's passing about noon. [GBF13]
- See GBF13 and PP39-40 for Shoghi Effendi's reaction.
||Abdul-Baha, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of; Shoghi Effendi, Life of
|1921 2 Dec
||Ethel Rosenberg arrives in the Holy Land, having learned on the train from Port Said of the passing of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [ER181-2]
||Ethel Rosenberg; Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1921 4 Dec
||On the seventh day after the passing of `Abdu'l-Bahá, corn is distributed in His name to about a thousand of the poor.
- Up to this day 50 to 100 poor are fed daily at the Master's House. [BW15:122]
||Abdul-Baha, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of; House of Abdul-Baha (Haifa)
|1921 29 Dec
||Shoghi Effendi arrives in the Holy Land from England by train from Egypt. [GBF14; PP42]
- An envelope addressed to him from 'Abdu'l-Bahá is waiting for him. It contained the Will and Testament. [Ruhi8.2p2]
- He is so worn and grief-stricken that he has to be assisted up the stairs and is confined to bed for a number of days. [CB285]
||Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Will and Testament of; Abdul-Baha, Writings and talks of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1922 3 Jan
||The Will and Testament of `Abdu'l-Bahá is read aloud for the first time, to a group of nine men, mainly senior members of `Abdu'l-Bahá's family. [BBRSM115; CB286; ER194; GBF14; PP45]
- Shoghi Effendi is not present at the reading. [CB286; ER194]
- Shoghi Effendi is appointed Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith. [WT11]
- Shoghi Effendi had no fore-knowledge of the institution of the Guardianship nor that he would be appointed Guardian. [CB285; PP423]
||Abdul-Baha, Will and Testament of; Abdul-Baha, Writings and talks of; Guardianship; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1922 6 Jan
||A memorial feast for 600 people of Haifa, `Akká and the surrounding area is held 40 days after the passing of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [BW15:122; ER195]
- More than a hundred poor are also fed. [BW15:122; ERT95-6]
- For details of the memorial service see ER195-9 and SW13, 2:404.
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1922 7 Jan
||The Will and Testament of `Abdu'l-Bahá is read publicly to an assembled gathering of Bahá'ís from many countries. [ER199-200]
The Greatest Holy Leaf sends two cables to Persia, informing the Bahá'ís that Shoghi Effendi has been appointed Guardian and instructing them to hold memorial services for `Abdu'l-Bahá. [PP47]
- Shoghi Effendi is again absent. [ER200]
||Abdul-Baha, Will and Testament of; Bahiyyih Khanum (Greatest Holy Leaf); Shoghi Effendi; Guardianship; Abdul-Baha, Passing of
|1971 26 – 28 Nov
||The fiftieth anniversary of the passing of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá is commemorated. [BW15:125–8; VV14]
- For text of the letters of the Universal House of Justice see BW15:125–6 and MUHJ76–7.
||Abdul-Baha, Passing of
from the main catalogue
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Ascension of (November 28), by Christopher Buck, in Religious Celebrations: An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations (2011). [about]
- Fiftieth Anniversary of The Master: Performance piece, by Jim Wood (1968). An artistic piece appropriate for play at the commemoration of the ascension of 'Abdu'l-Baha. Produced, performed, and narrated by Jim Wood; also read by Deborah Buttrey. [about]
- Messages from the Universal House of Justice 1963-1986: Third Epoch of the Formative Age, by Universal House of Justice (1996). [about]
- Passing of Abdu'l-Baha, The, by Shoghi Effendi and Lady Blomfield (1922). A compilation on the last days of 'Abdu'l-Baha, his funeral, and tributes on his behalf. Later published in abridged form in World Order. [about]