Search for tag "Pilgrim houses"
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
||Bahá'u'lláh was transferred to the house of `Údí Khammár in `Akká. [BBD109; BKG317; DH39, 203; GPB189]
The house was so small that 13 people of both sexes occupy one room. The remainder of Bahá'u'lláh's companions took up residence in other houses and the Khán-i-`Avámíd. [GBP189]
Bahá'u'lláh's occupation of this house lasted two years. [BKG319]
See BKG317 for the initial response of His neighbour, Ilyás `Abbúd.
See DH201–3 for a biography of `Údí Khammár.
- More information on the Khán-i-`Avámíd that became the first Pilgrim House and eventually a Bahá'í School.
||Bahaullah, Houses of; House of Udi Khammar; Udi Khammar; House of Abbud; Ilyas Abbud; Khan-i-Avamid; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre; Pilgrim Houses
|1892 (In the year)
||`Abdu'l-Bahá rented the house now known as the Pilgrim House (or the "Tea House") at Bahjí from its Christian owner Iskandar Hawwá', the husband of `Údí Khammár's daughter Haní. [DH114, 226]
||Abdul-Baha, Life of; Pilgrim Houses; Pilgrim House, Bahji; Tea House; Udi Khammar; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1909 (Months following Mar)
||Construction of the Eastern Pilgrim House in Haifa begins. [BBD178]
Mírzá Ja`far Rahmání, (also know as Áqá Mírzá Ja’far Shírází) a believer from `Ishqábád, was given permission by `Abdu'l-Bahá to build it. [DH177, SES25-26]
'Abdu'l-Bahá composed an inscription that was placed above the entrance that read, "This is a spiritual Hostel for Pilgrims, and its founder is Mírzá Ja'far Rahmani. AH 1327."
This was the first property to be granted tax exemption by the civil authorities. [GPB307, SES43-47]
||Pilgrim House, Eastern; Pilgrim houses; Mirza Jafar Rahmani; Aqa Mirza Jafar Shirazi; Pilgrimage; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
||William Harry Randall, an American, asked `Abdu'l-Bahá if he might contribute to the building of the Western Pilgrim House. [DH179]
Plans were drawn up and work began but the funds available were insufficient to continue the work until 1923, when money was contributed by Amelia Collins and seven others. [BBD178; DH180; GPB307]
||William Harry Randall; Abdul-Baha, Life of; Pilgrim Houses; Pilgrim House, Western; Amelia Collins
|1922 9 Apr
||Work commenced on the Western Pilgrim House. [PP69]
||Pilgrim House, Western; Pilgrim Houses
||The Guardian expressed his "heartfelt and abiding gratitude" to Milly Collins and seven others who had donated the necessary funds to complete the Western Pilgrim House construction project. It had been started in 1919 with a donation from Ruth and Harry Randal but had come to a halt when the funds ran out. [Millyp7; DH180; PSBW76]
||Pilgrim House, Western; Pilgrim Houses; Amelia Collins; Donations; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1929 (In the year)
||Shoghi Effendi completed the construction of the building at 10 Haparsim Street, which was designed as a hostel for western pilgrims, and adopted the custom of taking the evening meal with them in the dining room on the lower level. He usually met with the eastern pilgrims in the pilgrim house next to the Shrine of the Báb. [Bahá’í Pilgrimage]
||Pilgrimage; Pilgrim Houses; Pilgrim house, Western
|1948 (In the year)
||The owners of a house near the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh fled and the house became government property. [DH226]
Shoghi Effendi restored the house and made it a pilgrim house. [DH226]
He acquired the title in about 1956 as part of the exchange of the Ein Gev properties. [DH226]
See The Limited Times 11Nov22 for a history of the Ein Gev properties.
||Bahaullah, Shrine of; House of Bahaullah (Bahji); Pilgrim Houses; Pilgrim house, Bahji; Restoration
|1951 9 Jan
||Shoghi Effendi announced the formation of the International Bahá'í Council. [BBD118; BBRSM127; GBF109; MBW7–8; PP252; UD261]
The members were: Rúhíyyih Khanum (1951–61) Liaison with Shoghi Effendi; Hand of the Cause of God Charles Mason Remey (1951–61) President; Hand of the Cause Amelia Collins (1951–61) Vice President; Hand of the Cause Leroy Ioas (1952–61) Secretary General; Hand of the Cause Jessie Revell (1951–61) Treasurer Luṭfu’lláh Ḥakím (1951–61) Eastern Assistant Secretary Ethel Revell (1951–61) Western Assistant Secretary
Ugo Giachery (1952–61) Member-at-large; Hand of the Cause Ben Weeden (1951–52); Gladys Weeden (1951–52); Sylvia Ioas (1955–61).
See UD261 for the significance of the establishment of the International Bahá'í Council.
Between 1951 and 1957 Shoghi Effendi directed the members and used the Council to create an image of an international body handling the Bahá'í affairs in Haifa. According to Shoghi Effendi, the Council's responsibilities were to:
establish links with the Israeli authorities, and
negotiate with them concerning and establishing of a Bahá'í court to deal with personal matters,
Shoghi Effendi to complete the superstructure of the Shrine of the Báb
as an international Bahá'í secretariat.
Proclaim National Assemblies of East and West weighty epoch-making decision of formation of first International Bahá'í Council, forerunner of supreme administrative institution destined to emerge in fullness of time within precincts beneath shadow of World Spiritual Center of Faith already established in twin cities of 'Akká and Haifa....
This body functioned until the election of the Universal House of Justice in 1963.
It was a forerunner to the Universal House of Justice. [BBD118]
For its functions see MBW7–8.
Its seat is the Western Pilgrim House. [BBD178]
For the stages of its evolution see CB324.
||International Bahai Council; Universal House of Justice; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Shoghi Effendi, Basic timeline; Shoghi Effendi, Works of; Pilgrim houses; Pilgrim house, Western
|1956. c. 1956
||Shoghi Effendi acquired the title to the Pilgrim House at Bahjí from the Israeli government as part of the exchange for the Bahá’í properties at Ein Gev. [BBD177; DH226]
||Bahji; BWC; Haifa
||Pilgrim House, Bahji; Pilgrim Houses; Purchases and exchanges
|1963 16 Jun
||The Universal House of Justice announced that it will for the present time, use the Western Pilgrim House at 10 Haparsim Street, Haifa, as its seat and that both the Eastern and Western pilgrims will be housed in the Haifa Pilgrim House. [WG9]
||Pilgrim houses; Pilgrim House, Western; Pilgrim House, Eastern; Universal House of Justice, Seat of; Pilgrimage
|1969 (In the year)
||Owing to the increased flow of pilgrims, the pilgrim house in Haifa was converted to a pilgrim centre and the decision was taken to accommodate pilgrims in hotels. [DH178]
||Pilgrim Houses; Pilgrim House, Eastern; Pilgrimage; Pilgrims
|2000 18 Sep
||The announcement of the opening of the new Pilgrim Reception Centre near the Shrine of the Báb to receive Bahá'í pilgrims and visitors to the Bahá'í holy places in Haifa and Acre. The Centre was housed in two historic buildings that formerly served as a clinic. Remodeling these two structures began in 1998. The larger one was built during the time of the British Mandate and the smaller structure has a more Middle Eastern appearance, with patterned ceramic floors and stone arches. The first Bahá'í Pilgrim House in Haifa was built near the Shrine of the Báb by a Persian believer in 1909 and continued to serve as the primary gathering place for pilgrims until the new facility was completed. [BWNS67]
||Pilgrim Reception Centre; Pilgrimage; Pilgrim Houses; BWNS; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre; Pilgrims
|2017. 25 Aug
||The announcement of the opening of the new Pilgrim Reception Centre.
The three-story stone structure, which is located immediately to the west of the Shrine of the Bab, was opened in time to receive the season’s first pilgrim group in October, on the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the birth of Bahá'u'lláh. [BWNS1188]
||Pilgrimage; Pilgrim Reception Centre; Pilgrim Houses; BWNS; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre; Pilgrims
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.