|1881 (In the year)
||The Ridván Garden and the Firdaws Garden were purchased in the name of Bahá'u'lláh. [BBD84, 196; DH95, 103]
Most of the flowering plants in the Ridván Garden were brought by pilgrims from Iran. [CH96]
||Ridvan Garden; Firdaws Garden; Gardens; Pilgrims; Purchases and exchanges; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1907 (In the year)
||`Abdu'l-Bahá started to move His family to the house that He had designed and built in the German colony at the foot of Mount Carmel in Haifa. [BBD107; DH145]
Laura Clifford Barney helped to purchase the land for the house and to pay for its construction. [DH145]
Some members of the family occupied the house as early as February 1907, if not before. [DH145; GBF56]
||House of Abdul-Baha (Haifa); Abdul-Baha, Life of; Laura Clifford Barney; Purchases and exchanges; Architecture; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1908 9 Apr
||Two building plots for the future House of Worship were purchased in Wilmette for the sum of $2000. [BFA2:XVI; BW10:179, GPB262]
||Wilmette; United States
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Wilmette; Purchases and exchanges
||Faced with the possibility of Jewish developments on land near the Shrine of the Báb, Shoghi Effendi appealed to the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States and Canada to purchase the land in question. They responded quickly to the request. [BA92-3, SETPE1p108, PP97]
||BWC; Mount Carmel
||Bab, Shrine of; Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Purchases and exchanges
|1944 (In the year)
||A Bahá’í committee in Tihrán identified the House of Bahá’u’lláh in the city and purchased it.
||House of Bahaullah (Tihran); Purchases and exchanges
|1948 (In the year)
||The owners of a house near the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh fled and the house became government property. [DH226]
Shoghi Effendi restored the house and made it a pilgrim house. [DH226]
He acquired the title in about 1956 as part of the exchange of the Ein Gev properties. [DH226]
||Bahaullah, Shrine of; House of Bahaullah (Bahji); Pilgrim Houses; Purchases and exchanges; Restoration
|1953 3 – 6 May
||The All-America Intercontinental Teaching Conference was held in Chicago. [BW12:133]
For the texts of Shoghi Effendi’s messages to the conference see BW12:133–41 and MBW142–6.
Twelve Hands of the Cause were present. The Guardian was represented by Amatu'l-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum. [BW12:143; CBN No 82 November, 1956 p3]
At the conference, five members of the National Spiritual Assembly of the United States resigned from that body in order to go pioneering: Elsie Austin, Dorothy Baker, Matthew Bullock, Mamie Seto and Dr William Kenneth Christian. [ZK102]
Extract from the second message to All-American Intercontinental Conference from Shoghi Effendi... [MBW150]
.....the lands contributed in Latin America for a similar purpose approximate one-half of a million square meters, ninety thousand of which have been set aside near Santiago, Chile, for the first Mashriqu’l-Adhkár of South America..
|Chicago; United States; Santiago; Chile; America
||Conferences, Bahai; Conferences, Teaching; Conferences, Intercontinental; Ten Year Crusade; Teaching; Hands of the Cause; Hands of the Cause, Activities; Pioneering; Elsie Austin; Dorothy Baker; Matthew Bullock; Mamie Seto; William Kenneth Christian; Mashriqul-Adhkar, Santiago; Purchases and exchanges
|1954 (In the year)
||The purchase of the House of Bahá’u’lláh in Istanbul was concluded. [SS38]
||House of Bahaullah (Istanbul); Purchases and exchanges
||The Síyáh-Chál was acquired by the Bahá’ís. [BW12:64–5; SE153; SS45]
The purchase cost was $400,000 which was contributed by a Persian believer. [BW12:65; CBN No 52 May 1954 p2]
||Siyah Chal (Black Pit); Purchases and exchanges
|1954 1 Oct
||The title of the a parcel of land on Mount Carmel was transferred to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Canada, Israel Branch. The title deed was for Parcel No. 304, Block 10811 Mount Carmel, Haifa.
||Mount Carmel; Haifa; Israel; BWC
||Purchases and exchanges
|1955 20 Mar
||Shoghi Effendi announced the acquisition of 36,000 square metres of land for the first Mashriqu’l-Adhkár of the Holy Land. [DH175; MBW78–9]
The entire sum of $180,000 for the purchase was donated by Amelia Collins. [MBW79]
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Haifa; Purchases and exchanges; Amelia Collins; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1973 13 Mar
||The mansion at Mazra‘ih was purchased. [BW15:169; BW16:136; BW19-779-782, DH94; VV14]
From the Ridván message of the Universal House of Justice ...
“The Mansion of Mazra`ih, often referred to by the beloved Guardian as one of the "twin mansions" in which the Blessed Beauty resided after nine years within the walled prison-city of `Akká, and dear to the hearts of the believers by reason of its associations with their Lord, has at last been purchased together with 24,000 square metres of land extending into the plain on its eastward side.” [MUHJ68-73p112]
||House of Bahaullah (Mazraih); Purchases and exchanges; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1975 14 Jan
||The house of ‘Abdu’lláh Páshá was purchased after lengthy and delicate negotiations. [BBD108; BW16:103, 133; BW17:82; DH73; VV39]
For a history of the house see BW16:103–6.
||Akka; BWC; Haifa
||House of Abdullah Pasha; Purchases and exchanges; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
||The land for the Samoan House of Worship was purchased on a site overlooking Apia. [BW18:104]
||Mashriqul-Adhkar, Apia; Purchases and exchanges
|1980 24 Sep
||Universal House of Justice announced that additional land had been acquired in the south-western area of the Haram-i-Aqdas in exchange for some land near Nazareth. The acquisition of this new land permitted the completion of the fourth quadrant. In addition, it was announced that nearly 50,000 square meters of agricultural land adjacent to and north of the Mazra'ih property had been acquired as a protection for the Mansion because this area was being developed rapidly. [BW18:99; DH122, Message from the Universal House of Justice 24 September, 1980]
||BWC; Akka; Bahji; Haifa
||Haram-i-Aqdas; House of Bahaullah (Mazraih); Purchases and exchanges; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens; World Centre
|1996 Ridván (and after)
||The International Financial Collaboration programme was established by the Universal House of Justice to allow those national communities which are materially well endowed to assist other communities. Around 40 National Assemblies will be donors.
The programme is "... used to meet a variety of needs: the acquisition of land and buildings for national and local Baha'i Centres and for future Temple sites; the construction and renovation of Bahá'í properties, including the repair of buildings that suffered storm or earthquake damage; and the purchase of such items as an electricity generator, an office computer, and a motorcycle." They add further: "[b]eyond that, the bonds of unity between geographically distant national communities have been strengthened and the worldwide solidarity of the believers enhanced." [Letter from the Universal House of Justice to the National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the United Kingdom dated 17 July 2011 quoted in the UK BAHA'I NEWS EMAIL SERVICE dated 11 August 2011]
||Funds; Property; Purchases and exchanges; NSA; Universal House of Justice; Restoration; International Collaboration Fund
||Find reference and more information|
|2008 12 May
||After several years of negotiations, agreement was reached with the Israeli government for the acquisition of a rectangular plot of land 90,000 square metres in area, located between Bahjí and the main road. This land was being used by the government. This acquisition opened the way to further beautification of the environs of the Shrine of Bahá’u’lláh, the Qiblih of the people of Bahá, described by ‘Abdu’l-Bahá as the “luminous Shrine” and “the place around which circumambulate the Concourse on high”.
The property in the possession of the Faith had been further augmented by the conclusion, after negotiations which extended over some twenty years, of a land exchange with the Israel Land Administration, by which a portion of the land bequeathed to the Faith in the Ein Sara neighbourhood of Nahariya, north of ‘Akká, had been exchanged for an additional 100,000 square metres to the east of the Mansion of Bahjí, an area of about 32,000 square metres adjoining the island at the Riḍván Garden and the caravanserai adjacent to the Mansion of Mazra‘ih. They reported that discussions were continuing with the authorities for a further exchange, using more of the Ein Sara land to acquire additional property in close proximity to the Bahá’í Holy Places in the ‘Akká area required to protect the sanctity and tranquillity of these places in the face of the rapid urbanization of the region.
It was also announced that work had been completed on the restoration of the Junayn Gardens, a small farmhouse and orchard north of Bahjí visited occasionally by Bahá’u’lláh, which was subsequently donated to the Faith. [Message from the Universal House of Justice dated 12 May, 2008]
||Haifa; BWC; Ein Sara; Nahariya; Akka; Mazraih; Bahji; Israel
||Junayn Gardens; Bahaullah, Shrine of; House of Bahaullah (Mazraih); House of Bahaullah (Bahji); Ridvan Garden; Purchases and exchanges; Caravanserai; Restoration; World Centre; - Bahai World Centre buildings, monuments and gardens