Search for tag "Tree symbolism"
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Afnán: Genealogy of the Afnān Family, by Moojan Momen, in Encyclopaedia Iranica, Volume 1 (1985). Very brief article, short enough to qualify as "fair use." [about]
- Afnán Family, The: Some Biographical Notes, by Ahang Rabbani (2007). Genealogy of the Báb and biographies of his descendants; meaning of afnan. [about]
- "By the Fig and the Olive": `Abdu'l-Bahá's Commentary in Ottoman Turkish on the Qur'ánic Sura 95, by Necati Alkan, in Bahá'í Studies Review, 10 (2001). [about]
- Countenance of the Blessed Beauty in the Mirror of Mawlúd Tablets, The, by Foad Seddigh, in Lights of Irfan, 19 (2018). Review of four tablets in compilation from the Universal House of Justice about the commemoration of the anniversary of the birth of the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh, and guidance from 2015 intended to harmonize their lunar and solar dates. [about]
- Course on Bahá'í Symbolism, by Ernesto Fernandez (2013). Symbolic forms in the Writings and Baha'i architectural systems, and their analogues in universal religious symbolism. Includes Spanish translation, "Curso de simbología bahá ́í." [about]
- Hinduism and the Bahá'í Faith, by Moojan Momen (1990). An attempt to explore the relationship between Hinduism and the Bahá'í Faith and to explain the Bahá'í Faith to those who are from a Hindu background. [about]
- Introduction to the Lawh-i Haqqu'n-Nas, An, by Jean-Marc Lepain, in Online Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 1 (2007). Summary of the tablet Lawh-i Haqqu’n-Nas, Tablet of the "Right of the People," on the metaphorical character of this world. [about]
- Paradise and Paradigm: Key Symbols in Persian Christianity and the Bahá'í Faith, by Christopher Buck (1999). Study of Baha'i and Christian symbology, the "first academic monograph comparing Christianity and the Baha'i Faith." [about]
- Proselytizing, Development, and the Covenant, by Universal House of Justice, in Messages from the Universal House of Justice: 1963-1986, The Third Epoch of the Formative Age (1996). Teaching vs. proselytization; applying Baha'i social teachings without becoming ensnared in prevailing cultural mores; and the uniqueness of the Baha'i covenant. [about]
- Role of Principles in the Bahá'í Faith: Principles and Fashion, by Farjam Majd, in Lights of Irfan, 14 (2013). A hierarchical tree-like model of the world can aid in understanding the following questions: are values relative or absolute? Is it old-fashioned to live with a moral code? Should we be conservative or progressive? Should our beliefs change over time? [about]
- Seeing Double: The Covenant and the Tablet of Ahmad, by Todd Lawson, in Bahá'í Faith and the World's Religions (2005). The Tablet of Ahmad is believed to have special potency. "Seeing double" means both looking at the words of Scripture, and looking in the direction beyond the words, as indicated by the context. This paper also discusses the meaning of Covenant in Islam. [about]
- Tablet of the Fig and the Olive, by Abdu'l-Bahá, in Bahá'í Studies Review, 10 (2001). [about]
- Tree of Life, The: A Program for the Spiritualization of the Bahá'í Community, by National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of the Hawaiian Islands (1993). Compilations for a spiritualization and teaching campaign on prayer and meditation, how to be like the "shining examples" of the Bab and Baha'u'llah, and the 1992 Ridvan message. [about]
- Use of Trees as Symbols in the World Religions, The, by Sally Liya, in Solas, 4 (2004). The tree is a universal symbol found in the myths of all peoples. This Jungian archetype figures in dreams; symbolizes growth, unfolding, shelter, and nurture; is regarded as the gatekeeper to the next world; and is a metaphor in Baha'i scripture.
- Verse of Light, the Sadratu'l-Muntahá (Divine Lote Tree), and the Unfoldment of God's Plan, The, by Shirley Macias (1991). Relationship of a key mystical Quranic verse, Súrih 24:35, to Bahá'í theology; includes a brief compilation of Bahá'í Writings about the Lote Tree. [about]
- World Order, Evolution Towards: Notes on recent secondary literature, compilation, and two memoranda from the Bahá'í World Centre, by Universal House of Justice, in Online Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 1 (2007). Two letters, "Request for Materials about the World Order of Baha'u'llah" and "World Government and the Universal House of Justice," and compilation "Extracts from Letters Written by and on Behalf of the House of Justice on Evolution Towards World Order." [about]