Proposed Changes for Version 5
Update 2022 May: No progress has been made on the redevelopment, the programming team appears to have dissolved, and the project manager incommunicado. It seems we'll be making a new start later this year. But having said that, other behind-the-scenes changes have been coming along steadily; see Bahá'í Library Online at 25.
Update 2021 September: The programming has begun! Updates will be posted when I receive them.
Update 2021 August: Progress has begun on coordinating a team of programmers to build Version 5.
Update 2021 March: Version 5 initial development and planning has begun. More details will be posted here when available.
Every few years the Library grows enough to warrant a sub-version number
. Once every 5-10 years the Library evolves enough to require a whole new version; see past versions
. This document will track proposed changes to Version 5, circa 2022. It will not include all requested changes, as there are too many to possibly consider; see all those in Brett's and my To-Do list
. Rather, this document will list changes that are more feasible or more necessary.
Some planned changes:
- Mobile interface
- Unified database:
- Authority control for authors: wikipedia.org/wiki/Authority_control, which would also solve the problem of multiple spellings, e.g. "Masumian" and "Ma'sumian". Include option to tag other "authors" in a post, e.g. /yazdani_quiet_strangulation or /wilmette_lawh_maqsud_notes .
- Edit history
- Licenses and permissions. Separate editor/publisher. Change "open copyright". See http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
- Make public metadata search options, e.g. search Abstract or Parent or Publisher
- Tag table / master subject index
- Native push notifications
- EndNote and Marc export
- Incorporate diversity awareness, e.g. disclaimers on certain documents with now-outdated racial or non-inclusive terms
- Document-submission portal, scanned with VirusTotal, allowing for receiving, categorizing, vetting, editing, tagging/i>
Mistakes and other to-do:
- Logo, fonts, and colors concept art: zein_logo_design_concept_2022.pdf
- multiple-authorship issues, e.g. Cole and UHJ
- check "published as" fields
- loss of initial punctuation in titles in Editing window
- deal with redirects, e.g. bahai-library.com/ruhiyyih_passing_shoghi_effendi (should be khanum_passing_shoghi-effendi)
- move "ed." from volume field to new "editor" field for books
- deal with surname fields e.g. "van den" / "Hoonaard"
- Begin archiving regional newsletters, including sending requests to the Institutions
- Title search issues: how search for a title that has embedded HTML (italics, ampersands, m-dashes)?