Search for tag "Light"
|1922 21 Apr
||The Shrines of Bahá'u'lláh and the Báb were electrically illuminated for the first time. [PP69]
For the story of this project see He Loved He Served.
||Bahji; Mount Carmel
||Electrification of the Shrines; Bahaullah, Shrine of; Bab, Shrine of; Light (general); Shoghi Effendi, Life of; Shoghi Effendi, Basic timeline; - Basic timeline, Expanded
||Bahjí was lit for the first time by 99 four-branched wrought iron lamp posts. [GBF32; PP89–90]
||Light (general); Firsts, Other; Bahaullah, Shrine of
|1975 Feb - Aug
||Hand of the Cause Amatu’l-Bahá Rúhíyyih Khánum set out on the Green Light Expedition to visit the indigenous peoples of the Amazon Basin in South America. [VV30–2]
For a pictorial description of the expedition see BW16:419–48.
||Green Light Expedition; Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum; Amatul-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum, Journeys of
||The publication of Century of Light, a statement by the Universal House of Justice. The purpose of the book is to provide members of the Faith with a perspective on two defining processes that unfolded during the 20th century; on the one hand, the sequence of events that made the unification of humanity the principal feature of modern history and, on the other, the emergence from obscurity of the Cause of God and its Administrative order. It is primarily a resource for Bahá'í study and deepening. It is not a public information publication. [TP777-778]
||Century of Light (book); Universal House of Justice; Universal House of Justice, Basic timeline; Publications; History (general); Bahai history; 20th century; Peace; World order (general); World peace (general)
|2017. 18 Oct
||The release of the film Light to the World. The 51 minute film recounted the story of Bahá’u’lláh’s remarkable life and the impact of His teachings on communities around the world.
||Light to the World (film); Film; Documentaries; Bahaullah, Life of; * Institute process; BWNS; * Basics; - Basic timeline, Expanded
|2019. 20 Sep
||The film Dawn of the Light, a feature film commissioned by the Universal House of Justice for the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Báb, was released on the bicentenary website. It was made available in nine languages.
It was also made available on YouTube
||Film; Dawn of the Light; Twin Holy Days; Bab, Birth of; Centenaries
|2019. 29 Oct
||Bicentenary of the Birth of the Báb
The Bahá'í world commemorated the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Báb. The bicentenary website chronicled just some of the thousands of celebrations.
In early October the Universal House of Justice sent a message to all who have come to honour the Herald of a new Dawn.
A film called Dawn of the Light was commissioned. It was made available in 10 languages in a variety of formats. The film portrayed several individuals from different continents as they related their own personal search after truth and meaning. They shared their discovery that God had sent two Divine Manifestations Whose teachings were revolutionizing human thought and behaviour, changing darkness into light. The film showed glimpses of how this same discovery was inspiring the efforts of many across the globe to serve humanity and to contribute to building a new pattern of life.
The site also featured four articles The Mission of the Báb by former Universal House of Justice member Douglas Martin, Religion Renewed, Divine Revelation, and Bahá'í Teachings in Action...
...and small sample from among the countless artistic expressions created by individuals and communities around the world for the occasion of the bicentenary.
During the celebrations there was live streaming of the services held the Bahá'í Houses of Worship.
In addition there was an official Facebook page and an Instagram account.
Some national communities had their own Facebook page such as the Bahá'ís of the United Kingdom and the Bahá'ís of the United States.
On the 8th of November the Universal House of Justice sent a message to the Bahá'ís of the World commenting on the celebrations and activities held by the worldwide Bahá’í community to commemorate the bicentenary of the Birth of the Báb.
See the English translation of the message of the Universal House of Justice dated the 24th of October addressed to the followers of Bahá’u’lláh in the sacred land of Iran.
||Twin Holy Days; Holy Days; Bab, Birth of; Centenaries; Film; Dawn of the Light; Internet; Universal House of Justice, Letters and messages; - Basic timeline, Expanded
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá's Encounter with Modernity during His Western Travels, by Wendi Momen, in Lights of Irfan, 13 (2012). Abdu'l-Baha's responses to the West's technology and innovations on the one hand, vs. its archaic racist and sexual philosophies on the other. [about]
- Apocalyptic Thinking and Process Thinking: A Bahá'í Contribution to Religious Thought, by Moojan Momen, in Lights of Irfan, 13 (2012). The process of change in religious thinking and how it manifests in expectations about the Lesser Peace, both from Baha'i texts and within the community. Includes discussions of "the calamity," and of non-Baha'i political evolution in the 20th century. [about]
- Bahá'í Revelation, The, in Bahá'í World, Vol. 18 (1979-1983) (1986). Passages from Fire and Light and Selections from the Writings of the Bab published in Baha'i World as a section titled "Part One: The Baha'i Revelation." [about]
- Century of Light, by Universal House of Justice (2001). Survey of the history and dramatic changes of the 20th Century and the Bahá'í Faith's emergence from obscurity, "demonstrating on a global scale the unifying power with which its Divine origin has endowed it." [about]
- Century of Light: Questions and References, by Sheila Banani (2001). [about]
- Century of Light: Outline, by Arjen Bolhuis (2002). [about]
- Century of Light, by the Universal House of Justice: Review, by John Taylor (2002). [about]
- Century of Light: New Trends in Understanding, by Earl Redman, in Solas, 3 (2003). "Century of Light" turns conventional wisdom on its head in expressing Baha'u'llah's statement about the world’s equilibrium being upset by his new World Order, examines the 20th century in a holistic sense, and gives a new perspective on history. [about]
- Concept of 'Light' in Iranian Religion, The, by Moojan Momen (2003). [about]
- Effect of Revelation on Artistic Expression, The, by Otto Donald Rogers, in Bahá'í Studies, 10 (1982). The themes and processes of visual art are the same as those of constructive evolution: man as an instrument, desire for order and beauty, use of materials, element of light, principle of unity, balance of polarities, and mobility through faith. [about]
- English Translation of German Letters Published in The Light of Divine Guidance, by Shoghi Effendi (2013). Two letters originally written in German with brief mentions of cremation and Esperanto, and a personal letter to Baha'is in Esslingen. [about]
- Enrollments and limited growth of the Bahá'í community, by Universal House of Justice (2002). The lack of significant numerical growth in certain Western Baha'i communities is related to the preceding decades of struggle, achievement and disappointment. [about]
- Falta de crecimiento y el cambio de cultura, La, by Universal House of Justice (2002). [about]
- Fifty Bahá'í Principles of Unity: A Paradigm of Social Salvation, by Christopher Buck, in Bahá'í Studies Review, 18 (2014). World religions are systems of salvation, liberation, or harmony, in direct response to the perceived human predicament. To Baha’is, this predicament is profound estrangement and the solution is world unity, from family to international relations. [about]
- Fire and Light: Excerpts from the Bahá'í Sacred Writings, by Báb, The and Bahá'u'lláh (1982). [about]
- Function of Revelation in Artistic Expression, The, by Otto Donald Rogers, in Bahá'í Studies, 1 (1976). Overview of some Baha'i themes and how they are reflected in the making of art: man as an instrument; desire for order and beauty; use of materials; element of light; principle of unity; polarities and relationships; part and whole; energy and power. [about]
- Hinduism and the Bahá'í Faith, by Moojan Momen (1990). An attempt to explore the relationship between Hinduism and the Bahá'í Faith and to explain the Bahá'í Faith to those who are from a Hindu background. [about]
- Introduction to the Doctrines of Soul and Enlightenment in Mahayana Buddhism and the Bahá'í Faith, An, by Yeo Yew Hock, in Singapore Bahá'í Studies Review, vol. 3 (1998). The development of Mahayana and how the Chinese people adopted and adapted it; non-self/enlightenment vs. the "True Poverty and Absolute Nothingness" of the Seven Valleys; sunyata/emptiness and Buddhist monism vs. the Valley of Unity's nonduality.
- Kaleidoscope: Some Aspects of Angelology, Light, the Divine Throne and Color Mysticism in Bábí and Bahá'í Scripture, by Stephen Lambden, in Lights of Irfan, Volume 5 (2004). [about]
- Light of Divine Guidance: Volume 1, by Shoghi Effendi (1982). [about]
- Light of Divine Guidance: Volume 2, by Shoghi Effendi (1985). [about]
- Lights of Guidance: A Bahá'í Reference File, by Bahá'u'lláh and Abdu'l-Bahá. The classic Bahá'í reference book! This is its first online edition. [about]
- Lights of Guidance (second part): A Bahá'í Reference File, by Bahá'u'lláh and Abdu'l-Bahá. Part 2 of the classic Bahá'í reference book. This is its first online edition. [about]
- List of Baha'i Studies and Translations, by Stephen Lambden. A list of content available at Lambden's personal website, Hurqalya Publications, with select links to manuscripts, texts, introductions. Includes Shaykhi and Babi studies, bibliographies, genealogies, provisional translations. [about]
- Notes on the Twentieth Century, by Douglas Martin (2001). Multiple transcriptions of talks given in Atlanta, New York, and Massachusetts in September and October, 2001, largely based on the document Century of Light. [about]
- Permanence of Change, The: Contemporary Sociological and Bahá'í Perspectives, by Hoda Mahmoudi, in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 18 (2008). Sociohistorical changes of the Axial Age and the Renaissance, sociological views on modernity and its contemporary challenges, and key features of modernity as identified in the Bahá’í writings as "the universal awakening of historical consciousness." [about]
- Protecting the Human Family: Humanitarian Intervention, International Law, and Bahá'í Principles, by Brian D. Lepard, in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 13:1-4 (2003). [about]
- Rumi: Quotations from the Mathnáví of Rúmí in the Bahá'í Writings, by Bahá'u'lláh and Abdu'l-Bahá (2001). Rúmí’s Mathnáví is quoted in many places in the Bahá'í Writings, as noted in the footnotes to the Writings. [about]
- Selected Passages from Century of Light (2002). Compilation of selected highlights that summarize the main themes of the book. This is a personal interpretation of Century of Light. Chapter headings have been added for ease of reference, and are not part of the authorized edition.
- Siglo de la Luz, by Universal House of Justice. Spanish translation of Century of Light. [about]
- Tablet of Shikkar Shikan: Excerpt, by Bahá'u'lláh, in Bahá'í World, Vol. 18 (1979-1983) (1986). [about]
- Tablet of the 'Light Verse' (Lawh-i-Áyiy-i-Núr), also known as Commentary on the Disconnected Letters: Overview, by Adib Taherzadeh and Nabil-i-A'zam (1999). [about]
- Tablet of the 'Light Verse' (Lawh-i-Áyiy-i-Núr), also known as Commentary on the Disconnected Letters: Wilmette Institute faculty notes, by Stephen Lambden (1999). [about]
- Tablet of the 'Light Verse' (Lawh-i-Áyiy-i-Núr), also known as Commentary on the Disconnected Letters: What on earth is a disconnected letter? Baha'u'llah's commentary, by Alison Marshall (1999). The meaning of the Arabic letters alif, lam, mim, as explained in Baha'u'llah's tablet Tafsir hurufat al-maqatt’ah. Includes List of disconnected letters in the Qur'an and Abjad values of the Arabic letters. [about]
- Verse of Light, the Sadratu'l-Muntahá (Divine Lote Tree), and the Unfoldment of God's Plan, The, by Shirley Macias (1991). Relationship of a key mystical Quranic verse, Súrih 24:35, to Bahá'í theology; includes a brief compilation of Bahá'í Writings about the Lote Tree. [about]