Search for tag "Memorials"
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Abdu'l-Bahá's Phrasings about the Next World in Memorials of the Faithful (1995). In Memorials of the Faithful, 'Abdu'l-Bahá describes the lives of around 80 Bahá'ís. He closes these descriptions with a phrase about the person's soul moving to the afterlife. [about]
- Emblems of Faithfulness: Pluralism in Meaning and Beauty in the Ordinary, by Helen Cheng and Catherine Nash, in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 25:3 (2015). Memorials of the Faithful is notable for the diversity of personalities described, and the sheer ordinariness of many of those remembered lives. These two aspects of the text highlight some of the broader questions raised by the Baha'i Faith.
- Hagiography: The Art of Setting Inspirational Examples for a Religious Community, by Iscander Micael Tinto, in Lights of Irfan, 17 (2016). The life of Jesus was the example against which saints were measured, and the lives of saints were the examples against which the general population measured itself. Comparison of Attar's "Muslim Saints and Mystics" with Abdu'l-Baha's "Memorials." [about]
- Homage to Memorials of the Faithful, An, by Julio Savi, in Lights of Irfan, 17 (2016). Poems inspired by eight of the personages of "Memorials": Shaykh Salman, Nabil-i-Zarandi, Darvish-i-Sidq-‘Ali, Shaykh Sadiq-i-Yazdi, Zaynu’l-‘Abidin Yazdi, Shaykh ‘Ali Akbar-i-Mazgani, ‘Abdu’llah Baghdadi, and Jinab-i-Munib. [about]
- Memorials of the Faithful: Revisited, by Ron Price, in Associate, 35 (2001). Literary themes in Abdu'l-Baha's book of biographies. [about]
- Memorials of the Faithful, by Abdu'l-Bahá (1971). Abdu'l-Baha's volume of short biographies of Babi figures and heroes. [about]
- Memorials of the Faithful: The Democratization of Sainthood, by Moojan Momen, in Lights of Irfan, 17 (2016). Hagiography in Judaism, Christianity and Islam; the precedent of Faridu'd-Din's "Memorials of the Saints"; Abdu'l-Baha innovations in this traditional literary format. [about]
- Memorials of the Faithful: Virtues of Inner and Outer Transformation, by Marlene Koswan, in Lights of Irfan, 17 (2016). A study of the virtues identified for the faithful individuals mentioned in "Memorials of the Faithful" and how they exemplified character, manners and conduct, using the "Seven Valleys" as a guide for human conduct. [about]
- Significance of some Sites Mentioned in Memorials of the Faithful, by Foad Seddigh, in Lights of Irfan, 17 (2016). Abdu'l-Baha cited many villages and cities: the Most Great House in Baghdád; the ruins of Madaen which Baha'u'llah visited many times; Sheikh Tabarsi's tomb; the city of Mosul which is built on the ruins of the ancient city of Nineveh. [about]
- When the Saints Come Marching In: The Art of Bahá'í Biography, by Sidney Edward Morrison and Frank Lewis, in dialogue magazine, 1:1 (1986). Comments on hagiography, including reviews of nine popular Baha'i biographies. Includes response "In Praise of Saints" by Frank Lewis (from dialogue 1:3). [about]