Search for location "Vietnam"
||Shirin Fozdar arrived in Saigon, the first pioneer to Vietnam.
||Shirin Fozdar; pioneer
||The first local spiritual assembly in Vietnam was formed at Saigon-Cholon (Cholon is the Chinese section of Saigon).
This body was also the first local assembly to be formed in Indochina.
|1976 (In the year)
||Following the conquest of South Vietnam by North Vietnam, an anti-religion policy was implemented and the Bahá’í Faith, along with all other religions, were banned.
||Persecution, Vietnam; Persecution, Bans; Persecution
|1978 (In the year)
||The Bahá’ís of Vietnam were prohibited by the government from meeting and practising their religion. [BW17:81; BW19:50]
Bahá’í centres throughout the country were closed or confiscated;
The national Hazíratu’l-Quds in Ho Chi Minh City was seized and made into an orphanage;
Two members of the national spiritual assembly were arrested and sent to ‘re-education’ camps.
One was released in 1982, owing to ill health.
||Persecution, Vietnam; Persecution, Bans; Persecution; NSA; Haziratul-Quds
|1982 (In the year)
||One of the members of the National Spiritual Assembly of Vietnam sent to a ‘re-education’ camp was released owing to ill health; the other remained in detention. [BW18:96]
||Persecution, Vietnam; Persecution, Other; Persecution
|2008 21 Mar
||The re-election of the National Spiritual Assembly of Vietnam after a lapse of some 33 years.
A major step towards official recognition of the Faith had been taken a year previous when authorities issued a certificate recognizing Bahá'í activities.
The Bahá'í Faith had been established in Vietnam in 1954. In 1957 Bahá'ís there joined with a number of other countries in southeast Asia to form a Regional Spiritual Assembly, and in 1964 the first National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Vietnam had been formed. [BWNS617]
||Persecution, Bans; BWNS
|2008 25 Jul
||Vietnam recognized Bahá'ís as religious community. This followed the election of the National Spiritual Assembly some months earlier.
The Bahá'í Faith was established in the country in 1954, and the first National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá'ís of Vietnam was elected 10 years later. In the mid-1970s, formal activities of the community were suspended. [BWNS64]
from the main catalogue
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Bahá'í Faith: Origin, Missionary Work, and the Entrance into Vietnam, by Mai Thanh Hai, in Religious Studies Review, 4:2 (2008). An outsider's short history of the Faith in Vietnam since 1954 and current activities in the country. [about]
- Beyond Death's Grey Land, by Sidney Edward Morrison, in dialogue magazine, 1:2 (1986). Reflections from a Baha'i perspective on the Vietnam War, the nature of war, dehumanizing humanity, and being a soldier. [about]
- References to the Bahá'í Faith in the U.S. State Department's Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, by United States Department of State (1991). Excerpts from the State Department's annual compilation of Country Reports on Human Rights Practices on discrimination against the Baha'i Faith and persecution of its adherents in twenty countries. [about]
- Revisiting Vietnam: A Case for Reading "Those War Books", by David Langness, in dialogue magazine, 1:3 (1986). Brief reviews of a dozen books about the Vietnam war. [about]
- Ridván 1996 (Four Year Plan) - To the Followers of Bahá'u'lláh in Cambodia, Hong Kong, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam: Bahá'í Era 153, by Universal House of Justice (1996). Country-specific portion of the annual message to the Bahá'ís of the world: East Asia. [about]
- Servants of the Glory: A Chronicle of Forty Years of Pioneering, by Adrienne Morgan and Dempsey Morgan (2017). Memoirs of a black couple from the United States who lived and spread the Bahá’í Faith in across parts of east Asia and Africa in the 1950s-1980s. Text by Dempsey Morgan, poems by Adrienne Morgan. Link to document offsite. [about]
- Locations are simplified spellings used to find documents on a similar topic but with various titles.
- Searches match parts of a location: searching for state will also show United States.
- 1- and 2-letter words will not be searched.
- Please contact us if you can help add locations.
- See also all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.