Search for tag "Sacrifice"
|1819 (In the year)
||Death of Shaykh `Alí, son of Shaykh Ahmad. Shaykh Ahmad considered this loss as a sacrifice for `the Alí whose advent we all await'. [MH24]
||Shaykh Ali; Shaykh Ahmad-i-Ahsai; Births and deaths; Sacrifice; Shaykhism
||Mírzá Yahyá began his attempts on Bahá'u'lláh's life about one year after the arrival of the exiles. He invited Bahá'u'lláh to a feast and shared a dish, half of which was laced with poison. Bahá'u'lláh was ill for 21 days following this attempt and was left with a shaking hand for the rest of His life.
Bahá'u'lláh was attended by a foreign Christian doctor named Shíshmán who died shortly after seeing Him. Bahá'u'lláh intimates that the doctor has sacrificed his life for Him.
On another occasion he poisoned the well which provided water for the family and companions of Bahá'u'lláh. [BKG225]
Mírzá Yahyá tried to convince the barber, Ustád Muhammad-'Alíy-i-Salmání, to assassinate HIm. This enraged the barber and, contrary to Bahá'u'lláh's instructions, disclosed Mírzá Yahyá's intentions to the community thus causing further discontent. [CH60, BKG225–30, CB82–3, GPB165-166 and RB2:158–61]
||Edirne; Adrianople; Turkey
||Mirza Yahya (Subh-i-Azal); Bahaullah, Attempts on; Poison; Sacrifice
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Conversion, Transformation, and Sacrifice in the Revelation of The Bab, by Peter Ashelman (2001). Hermeneutics in early Babi/Baha'i history and its relationship to conversion, and the historical evolution of the world Bahá’í community since its origins. [about]
- Daily Lessons Received at Akka: January 1908, by Helen S. Goodall and Ella Goodall Cooper (1979). Includes translations of three Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha. [about]
- Meaning of Suffering and the Mystery of Sacrifice, The: Selections from the Bahá'í Holy Writings (2007). [about]
- Mystery of Martyrdom, The, by Darius Shahrokh and Grace Shahrokh, in Windows to the Past (1992). Life stories of many early martyrs, and some explanations of what inspires self-sacrifice. [about]
- Questions and Answers 1950-51, by Mirra Alfassa (1951). The Mother's recollections of Abdu'l-Baha speaking to her about sacrifice and suffering. [about]
- Sacrifice, by Báb, The and Bahá'u'lláh (2004). Compilation on "The Field of Sacrifice." [about]
- Service, Joy and Sacrifice: An Essay on Commentaries by 'Abdu'l-Bahá, by James B. Thomas, in Lights of Irfan, Volume 5 (2004). [about]
- Surah of the Sacrifice, by Bahá'u'lláh (1996). [about]
- Tablet to Hájí Mírzá Kamálu'd-Dín: Excerpt, by Bahá'u'lláh (2002). Brief comments by Bahá'u'lláh on the Isaac/Ishmael controversy. [about]
- Tablet to Ismael on Annihilation in God, by Abdu'l-Bahá (2002). Short mention of faná', the mystical annihilation of the self, "which is none other than being a total sacrifice in His Lordship." [about]
- Unity of Religions in This Century, Jews and the Crucifixion, and the Sacrifice of Ishmael, The, by Universal House of Justice (1990). [about]