Search for tag "Fasting"
|1867 Sep - Aug 1868
||Bahá'u'lláh revealed the Kitáb-i-Badí‘, the Munájátháy-i-Síyám (Prayers for Fasting), the first Tablet to Napoleon III, the Lawh-i-Sultán written to Násiri'd-Dín Sháh, and the Súriy-i-Ra'ís. [BKG245; GBP172]
The Súriy-i-Ra'ís was published in the Summons of the Lord of Hosts. See Wikipedia for a synopsis of this Tablet.
See RB2:370–82 for details of the Kitáb-i-Badí'.
Bahá'u'lláh revealed the Súriy-i-Ghusn (Tablet of the Branch) in which ‘Abdu'l-Bahá's future station was foreshadowed. [BBD218; BKG250; GPB177; GWB39]
See RB2:338–9 for a description of the Tablet.
It was probably about this time that the first Lawh-i-Salmán was revealed for Shaykh Salmán. [RoB2p281-290; Uplifting Words ]
||Edirne (Adrianople); Turkey
||Bahaullah, Writings of; Bahaullah, Life of; Tablets to kings and rulers; Kitab-i-Badi (Wondrous Book); Munajathay-i-Siyam (Prayers for Fasting); Prayer; Lawh-i-Napulyun (Tablet to Napoleon III); Napoleon III; Lawh-i-Sultan (Tablet to Nasirid-Din Shah); Nasirid-Din Shah; Suriy-i-Rais (Tablet to Sultan Ali Pasha); Ali Pasha; Suriy-i-Ghusn (Tablet of the Branch); Abdul-Baha, Life of; Firsts, Other; Bahaullah, Basic timeline; - Basic timeline, Expanded; Shaykh Salman; Lawh-i-Salman I
|1999 28 Dec
||In a message from the Universal House of Justice addressed to the Bahá'ís of the world, some laws of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas which had not yet been universally applied were put into effect. Those were the laws that directly foster the devotional life of the individual and of the community which pertained to obligatory prayer, fasting and recitation of the Greatest Name ninety-five times a day.
Those laws of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas that were not yet universally applicable were delineated in the message dated 8 February, 2001.
||Kitab-i-Aqdas (Most Holy Book); Laws; Gradual implementation of laws; - Basic timeline, Expanded; Obligatory prayer; Greatest Name; Fasting
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Bahá'í: Religion and Diet, by Paul Fieldhouse, in Encyclopedia of Food and Culture (2003). Short overview of fasting, feast, and diet. [about]
- Bahá'í Fast: A compilation, in Lights of Irfan, 19 (2018). Description and purposes of the Fast; how to fast; additional insights. [about]
- Bahá'í Fast, The: Warwick Leaflets, by Warwick Bahá'í Bookshop (2012). A summary of the laws and principles of the Fast. [about]
- Bible Stories and Themes in the Bahá'í Writings and Guidance (2021). Bahá'í interpretation of Biblical stories and topics. [about]
- Dawn Fasting Prayer, by Ruhiyyih (Mary Maxwell) Khanum (1982). Essay from ‘Amatu’l-Baha Ruhiyyih Khanum's book The Desire of the World. [about]
- Explanations Concerning Sacred Mysteries, by Mirza Asad'Ullah (1902). Essays on the book of Daniel, and on the mysteries of: daily sacrifice, the kingdom, death, prayers for the dead, the figure 9, Jonah, fasting, and prayer. [about]
- Fast, Bahá'í (March 2, by Christopher Buck, in Religious Celebrations: An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations (2011). [about]
- Fasting, by John Walbridge, in Sacred Acts, Sacred Space, Sacred Time: Baha'i Studies volume 1 (1996). [about]
- Fasting: The mercy and grace of God, by William P. Collins (1998). Brief overview of the purpose and backround of fasting. [about]
- Fasting among Zoroastrians, Manicheans, and Bahá'ís, by Jamsheed K. Choksy, in Encyclopaedia Iranica, Volume 9 (1999). Brief excerpt, with link to article offsite. [about]
- Fasting and the Bahá'í Fast: Warwick Leaflets, by Warwick Bahá'í Bookshop (1993). [about]
- Fasting period ends Sunday, by Ted Slavin, in St. Catharines Standard (2011). The Fast helps us remember the goals of eradicating poverty and achieving gender equality. [about]
- Food, Justice, and the Baha'i Faith, by Paul Fieldhouse (2005). PhD Dissertation tests the claim that "food," both literal and metaphorical, provides a practical way through which Bahá’ís can articulate and achieve their ethical goals. [about]
- Laws of the Kitab-i-Aqdas, Further Application of, by Universal House of Justice (1999). Announcement to the Bahá'í world that all elements of the laws dealing with obligatory prayer and fasting are now applicable.
- Light of the World: Selected Tablets of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, by Abdu'l-Bahá (2021). Tablets of ‘Abdul-Bahá describing aspects of the life of Bahá’u’lláh including the tribulations He suffered, events in His homeland, the purpose and greatness of His Cause, and the nature and significance of His Covenant. [about]
- Miracles and Metaphors, by Mirza Abu'l-Fadl Gulpaygani (1981). Collection of essays on metaphysical topics and Bahá'í answers to old religious controversies: are the Scriptures to be taken literally? Do miracles occur? What is an angel? Are the stories of the Old Testament to be believed? [about]
- Miracles in Religion: A Study of the miraculous in religion in context of the Baha'i Faith, by Anil Sarwal (1996). Guide to spirituality, offers insights on the purpose of religion, experiences of Himalayan masters, worship of gods and goddesses, idol worship, psychic phenomena, prayer, meditation, and fasting. [about]
- Obligatory Prayer and Fasting, The Importance of, by Bahá'u'lláh and Abdu'l-Bahá, in The American Baha'i, 31:7 (2000). [about]
- Oracion Obligatoria y el Ayuno, La Importancia de la, by Bahá'u'lláh and Abdu'l-Bahá (2000). [about]
- Prayers of Bahá'u'lláh, The, by Ruhiyyih (Mary Maxwell) Khanum, in Bahá'í World, Vol. 9 (1940–1944) (1945). Essay about various prayers and meditations of Bahá'u'lláh. [about]
- Prière révélée par Bahá'u'lláh le premier jour du Jeûne, by Bahá'u'lláh (2020). Provisional French translation by Daoust from an English rendering by Masumian of Bahá'u'lláh's prayer on the first day of the Fast. [about]
- Songs of the Spirit: A Collection of Poems Written during the Fast 2003 and 2004, by Dawn Staudt, in Solas, 4 (2004). [about]
- Translation list (2009). Index to talks, letters, and other items translated from Persian and Arabic to English by Adib Masumian; listed here for the sake of search engines and tagging. [about]
- Twelve Table Talks Given by 'Abdu'l-Bahá in 'Akká, by Abdu'l-Bahá (2019). Talks from 1904-1907. [about]
- Unrestrained as the Wind: A Life Dedicated to Bahá'u'lláh (1985). Compilation of quotations on topics of especial interest to Bahá'í youth. [about]
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.