Search for tag "Style (general)"
from the main catalogue
See all tags, sorted numerically or alphabetically.
- Art of Rhetoric in the Writings of Shoghi Effendi, The, by Jack McLean, in Lights of Irfan, Volume 8 (2007). Outline and illustration of six defining elements of Shoghi Effendi's rhetorical art, which show both classical and particular or atypical uses. [about]
- Baha'i Faith: The Basics by Christopher Buck: Review, by Jack McLean (2020-01). [about]
- Celestial Burning, A: A Selective Study of the Writings of Shoghi Effendi, by Jack McLean (2012). Style, content, and context of the major writings of the Guardian; providential history; critique of Hegel; the military metaphor; the language of interpretation; history of the apostolic age. [about]
- Coherent Chaos and Chaotic Cosmos: The Qur'ān and the Symmetry of Truth, by Todd Lawson, in Weltkonstruktionen: Religiöse Weltdeutung zwischen Chaos und Kosmos vom Alten Orient bis zum Islam (2010). While at first glance the Qur'an appears to be chaotic in form and structure, on closer examination it reveals an interconnected logic of content, performance, imagery, grammar, and poetics. Article does not mention the Bahá'í Faith. [about]
- Diacritics; meaning of "Self-subsisting", by Universal House of Justice (1993-01-21). Two disparate topics: the translation style adopted by the Guardian and other considerations related to literary style and the sacred writings, and the meaning of the term "self-subsisting." [about]
- Epistolary Style of Shoghi Effendi, The, by Ann Boyles, in Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 31:4 (2022-09). The purposes of this paper are to investigate the new style of the epistle and the roots of its development, and demonstrate that elements of the form have been modified to accommodate the vision of Shoghi Effendi, architect of Bahá'u'lláh's World Order. [about]
- Inseparability and Complementarity of the Book and the Universal House of Justice, The, by Sana Rezai (2018-11). Direct references the House of Justice makes to the words of 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi, as illustrated through the 26 November 2018 message. [about]
- Kitab-i Iqan, The: An Introduction to Baha'u'llah's Book of Certitude with Two Digital Reprints of Early Lithographs, by Christopher Buck, in Occasional Papers in Shaykhí, Bábí and Bahá'í Studies, 2:5 (1998-06). Overview of the history and themes of the preeminent doctrinal work of the Bahá'í Faith. [about]
- Kitáb-i-Aqdas (Most Holy Book): Notes on the Style of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas, by Suheil Badi Bushrui (1995). The near-similarity between the style of the Qur'an and that of the Aqdas. [about]
- Kitab-i-Panj Sha'n, by John Walbridge, in Sacred Acts, Sacred Space, Sacred Time: Bahá'í Studies volume 1 (1996). Brief essay on, and partial translation of, this work of the Bab. [about]
- Le Style du Kitáb-i-Aqdas - Aspects du Sublime, livre du Professeur Suheil Bushrui, by Suheil Badi Bushrui (2018). Une analyse du Kitab-i-Aqdas, un ouvrage rédigé en prose rimée typique des écrits arabes les plus exaltants. [about]
- Literary Style — Translation (n.d.). Compilation including a statement from Abdu’l-Bahá about translation, extracts from letters written on behalf of Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice, and a description of the writings of Shoghi Effendi excerpted from Priceless Pearl. [about]
- Materials Provided by the Bahá'í World Centre on Gender in the Writings, and Matters of Translation, by Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi (2002-07-25). A collection of letters about gender pronouns in Writings, a compilation concerning the translations of Shoghi Effendi, the literary style of translation, and guidance on translating the Writings into indigenous languages. [about]
- Notes and Mazandarani's "9 Styles of Revelation" (1999). [about]
- Notes on some aspects of The Book of Certitude, by Moshe Sharon (2013). The expository style of the Kitab-i-Iqan is different from the ecstatic revelations of Bahá'u'lláh's post-Kurdistan period. This style was not only exciting but also clear and informative, able to distinctly express fundamentals of the Faith.
- Oceans of Light: The Major Works of Bahá'u'lláh, by Robert Stockman (2010). PowerPoint presentation on the scope, style, and history of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh. [about]
- On "Simplified English" Translations of the Bahá'í Writings, by Universal House of Justice (1998-08-12). Explanation that it is not necessary or acceptable to produce simplified "dilutions" of Shoghi Effendi's translations of the Bahá’í Writings. [about]
- Perfection and Refinement: Towards an Aesthetics of the Bab, by Moojan Momen, in Lights of Irfan, 12 (2011). The writings of the Bab have implications for the "plastic" arts; significance for native traditions; relevance to the performing arts; and the concept of refinement which comes across in both the person and the writings of the Báb. [about]
- Scripture as Literature: Sifting through the layers of the text, by Frank Lewis, in Bahá'í Studies Review, 7 (1997). Literary and religious antecedents to some of the styles and genres of Bahá'í scripture. [about]
- Shoghi Effendi: An approach to his artistic contribution to style in English literature and to standards in translation, by Nobel Perdu and Ismael Velasco, in Traducción, cultura e inmigración. Reflexiones interdisciplinares, ed. García Marcos et al. (2004). On the technical and literary features of Shoghi Effendi's translations of Bahá'í scriptures: translation vocabulary; interpretation; features of his 'neo-classical' English used to elevate the text. [about]
- Short Poem by "Darvísh" Muhammad, Bahá'u'lláh: Sáqí az ghayb-i baqá burqa' bar afkan az 'idhár, A: An Introduction and Three Versions of Provisional English Translations, by Frank Lewis, in Lights of Irfan, Book 2 (2001). Three alternative renderings of a translation of one of Baha’u’llah’s early poems, writing during his sojourn in Kurdistan; comments on his poetic work.
- Style of the Kitab-i-Aqdas, The: Aspects of the Sublime, by Suheil Bushrui: Review, by Sen McGlinn, in Bahá'í Studies Review, 6 (1996). [about]
- Style of the Kitab-i-Aqdas, The: Aspects of the Sublime, by Suheil Bushrui: Review, by Miles L. Bradbury (1998). [about]
- Stylistic Analysis of the Báb's Writings, A: Abridged Translation of Vahid Behmardi's Muqaddamih-yi dar bárih-yi sabk va siyáq-i áthár-i mubárakih-yi ḥaḍrat-i rabb a`lá, by Vahid Behmardi and William F. McCants, in Online Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 1 (2007). English translation by McCants of Behmardi's Persian article "Stylistic Analysis of the Báb’s Writings". [about]
- Understanding Exclusivist Texts, by Seena Fazel, in Scripture and Revelation: Papers presented at the First Irfan Colloquium (1997). Contemporary religions, esp. Christianity, must examine their exclusivist claims to account for other paths to salvation. [about]
- Unveiling the Hidden Words, by Diana Malouf: An Extended Review, by Frank Lewis, in Bahá'í Studies Review, 8 (1998). Book review, and a commentary on the need for Bahá'í academia aimed at a secular audience, and the possibility of updating the Guardian's translations when English evolves in the future. [about]
- When the Saints Come Marching In: The Art of Bahá'í Biography, by Sidney Edward Morrison and Frank Lewis, in dialogue magazine, 1:1 (1986). Comments on hagiography, including reviews of nine popular Bahá'í biographies. Includes response "In Praise of Saints" by Frank Lewis (from dialogue 1:3). [about]
- Writings of 'Abdu'l-Baha, The, by Amin Banani, in World Order (1971 Fall). The style and genres of Abdu'l-Bahá's writings, a chronology of their thematic and linguistic change, and a categorization of the various types of his writings and talks. [about]
See all locations, sorted numerically or alphabetically.