Search for tag "Afnan"
|1830 Jan c.
||Birth of Hájí Mírzá Muhammad Taqí Afnán (Vakílu'd-Dawlih), maternal uncle of the Báb, who supervised and largely paid for the building of the Mashriqu'l-Adhkár in `Ishqábád.
||Haji Mirza Muhammad Taqi Afnan; Vakilu'd-Dawlih; Mashriqu'l-Adhkar
|1873 8 Mar
||Marriage of `Abdu'l-Bahá to Munírih Khánum in the House of `Abbúd.
DH45 says the marriage took place in late August or September 1872.
- See CH87–90, SES25-26, DH45–6 and RB2:208–9 for details of the wedding.
- For the story of Munírih Khánum's life see RB2:204–9.
- She was the daughter of Mírzá Muhammad-`Alíy-i-Nahrí by his second wife. [BBD165; GPB130; RB2:204]
- See BBD 166, BKG340–1, DB208–9 and RB2:203–4 for the story of her conception.
- See BKG344, MA112–13 and RB2:206–7 for the story of her first marriage.
- The marriage resulted in nine children, five of whom died in childhood: Husayn Effendi (died 1887, aged two), Mihdí (died aged two-and-a-half), Túbá, Fu'ádiyyih and Rúhangíz. Four daughters grew to adulthood. The oldest of these was Díyá'iyyih, who married Mírzá Hádí Shírází in 1895. Shoghi Effendi was their eldest child. The second daughter, Túbá Khánum, married Mírzá Muhsin Afnán. The third daughter of `Abdu'l-Bahá, Rúhá, married Mírzá Jalál, the son of Mírzá Muhammad-Hasan, the King of Martyrs. The fourth daughter, Munavvar, married Mírzá Ahmad. [ABMM]
||Munirih Khanum; Mirza Muhammad-`Aliy-i-Nahri; Diya'iyyih Khanum; Mirza Hadi Shirazi; Tuba Khanum; Mirza Muhsin Afnan; Ruha Khanum; Mirza Jalal; Mirza Muhammad-?asan; Munavvar Khanum; Mirza Ahmad
||Members of the Afnán family meet Bahá'u'lláh in Haifa during His visit. [BKG374, 406]
- For details of this visit see BKG406–13.
- Also see Memories of the Báb, Bahá’u’lláh and `Abdu’l-Bahá by Mírzá Habíbu’lláh Afnán, (Ahang Rabbani trans.) pages 26-31>.
|1896 in the year
||Díyá'íyyih Khánum, the eldest daughter of `Abdu'l-Bahá, marries Mírzá Hádí Afnán of Shíráz. [BW4:234 (GENEALOGY); DH59–60]
- These are the parents of Shoghi Effendi.
- For a picture of Díyá'íyyih Khánum see MA105.
||Diya'iyyih Khanum; Mirza Hadi Afnan; Shoghi Effendi
|1902 - 1903
||`Abdu'l-Bahá commissions the restoration of the House of the Báb in Shíráz under the supervision of Áqá Mírzá Áqá, an Afnán and nephew of `Abdu'l-Bahá. [AB108; EB236; GPB300]
- Also see Memories of the Báb, Bahá’u’lláh and `Abdu’l-Bahá by Mírzá Habíbu’lláh Afnán, (Ahang Rabbani trans.) pages 219-222.
||House of the Bab; Aqa Mirza Aqa; Afnan
||Hájí Muhammad-Taqí Afnán, Vakílu'd-Dawlih, the cousin of the Báb largely responsible for the building of the House of Worship in `Ishqábád, is buried in the newly acquired Bahá'í cemetery in Haifa, the earliest recorded burial in the cemetery. [BBD51; DH182]
||Haji Muhammad-Taqi Afnan; Vakilu'd-Dawlih; Baha'i cemetery; Mashriqu'l-Adhkar
|1924 22 Sep-3 Oct
||The conference `Some Living Religions within the British Empire' is held in London. [BW2:225; ER233; GPB342]
- For details of the planning of the conference and its outcome see ER231-5.
- For Shoghi Effendi's attitude to the conference see UD17, 19, 21-2, 245.
- Two papers about the Bahá'í Faith are read at the conference, one by Horace Holley read by Mountfort Mills and the other by Rúhí Afnán. [BW2:225; ER232-3; SBR73]
- For texts of the papers see BW2:227-42.
||Some Living Religions within the British Empire; Shoghi Effendi; Horace Holley; Mountfort Mills; Ruhi Afnan
||The funeral of a believer resident in the Holy Land, Mírá Moshen Afnán, is the first entirely Bahá'í funeral to take place in Palestine showing the strong independence of the Faith. [SETPE1p147]
||Mira Moshen Afnan; funeral
|2015 12 Feb
||The official opening of the new location of the Afnan Library Trust at Sandy, close to Cambridge. The Afnan Library Trust was established in 1985 to manage the collection bequeathed by Hasan Balyuzi when he passed away in 1980. It consists of some 10,000 books, as well as a vast quantity of manuscripts, original letters, maps, documents, periodicals, and unpublished items – some of them dating back to the nineteenth century. [BWNS1040]
||Afnan Library Trust
from the main catalogue
- Afnán: Genealogy of the Afnān Family, by Moojan Momen, in Encyclopaedia Iranica, Volume 1 (1985). Very brief article, short enough to qualify as "fair use." [about]
- Afnán Family, The: Some Biographical Notes, by Ahang Rabbani (2007). Genealogy of the Báb and biographies of his descendants; meaning of afnan. [about]
- Báb in Shiraz, The: An Account by Mírzá Habíbu'lláh Afnán, in Witnesses to Babi and Bahá'í History, vol. 16 (2008). Recollections of the early years of the Bab and his family, and the times following his declaration; written by a relative. [about]
- Genealogy of the Aghsan and the Afnán (2005). Two family trees, one for The Bab and the other for Baha'u'llah. [about]
- Memories of My Life: Translation of Mírzá Habíbu'lláh Afnán's Khátirát-i-Hayát, by Ahang Rabbani, in Online Journal of Bahá'í Studies, 1 (2007). Bio of the life of Habíbu'lláh Afnán-i-A`lá'í, born 1875, especially his years with the family of the wife of the Báb, Khadijih Bagum, and her sister, Zahrá Bagum. [about]
- Memories of the Báb, Bahá'u'lláh and 'Abdu'l-Bahá: Memoirs of Mírzá Habíbu'lláh Afnán, in Witnesses to Babi and Bahá'í History, vol. 4 (2005). Autobiography of a close confidant of the holy family. Includes appendices on Baha'i historical places in Shiraz, the Afnán family genealogy, and excerpts from Houshmand Fatheazam’s diary [about]